𝖛𝖎. curiosity killed the cat

( 𝔳𝔬𝔩𝔲𝔪𝔢 𝔦, 𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝖘𝖎𝖝 ) curiosity killed the cat

Professor Lupin was back at work, and it certainly looked as though he had been ill. His old robes were hanging more loosely on him and there were dark shadows beneath his eyes; nevertheless, he smiled at Evangeline as she took her seat, and the Gryffindors, Hufflepuffs, and Ravenclaws burst at once into an explosion of complaints about Snape's behaviour.

''It's not fair, he was only filling in, why should he set us homework?''

''We're not even meant to be doing werewolves—''

''Two rolls of parchment!''

''Did you tell Professor Snape we aren't meant to cover them?'' Lupin asked, frowning slightly.

The babble broke out again.

''Yes, but he said we were really behind—''

''—he wouldn't listen—''

''Two rolls of parchment!''

Professor Lupin smiled at the look of indignation on most of the student's faces. ''Don't worry, I'll speak to Professor Snape, you don't have to do the essay.''

''Oh no,'' Evangeline muttered, disappointed, ''those are three wasted hours of my life that I'll never get back.''

Like almost always, bar the last one, everyone had a very enjoyable lesson. Professor Lupin had brought along a glass box containing a Hinkypunk, which was a little one-legged creature who seemed as though he was made of wisps of smoke, rather frail and frail-looking.

''Lures travellers into bogs,'' he informed the class. ''You notice the lantern dangling from his hand? Hops ahead — people follow the light — then—''

The Hinkypunk made a horrible squelching noise against the glass.

When the bell rang, everyone gathered up their things and headed for the door, Evangeline amongst them, but—

''Wait a moment, Miss Rosier,'' Lupin called, ''I'd like a word.''

''Go, I'll meet you all in the common room,'' Evangeline told Juliet and Cassius, who had also turned around at the sound of her name. The brunette brushed them off, walking up to Professor Lupin's desk. Her short skirt swished high above her thighs, little coverage being provided by her lace-trimmed knee-high socks. ''You wanted to see me, sir?''

''I did,'' he replied, starting to pile books into his briefcase, ''Professor Snape took great care in letting me know you took an interest in my absence, am I correct?''

''Yes. He told me it was a frivolous matter, but I do not see why I should not inquire when such a great teacher as yourself is absent from teaching the class I am attending.''

''I chose a very inconvenient time to fall ill,'' Lupin agreed, ''but from now on, I will do my best to ensure I am available for the classes I teach you in, Miss Rosier.''

''I appreciate that, professor. Is that all you wanted from me?''

''It is for now, yes.''

Two weeks before the end of term, the sky lightened suddenly to a dazzling, opaline white and the muddy grounds were revealed one morning to be covered in a glittering frost. Inside the castle, there was a buzz of Christmas in the air; Professor Flitwick had already decorated his classroom with shimmering lights that turned out to be real, fluttering fairies, and the students were all happily discussing their plans for the holidays.

Evangeline was expected home for Christmas, as always. Likewise, Juliet, Apollo, and Cassius were all expected to return too. Pollux, who had barely spoken more than two sentences to his friends over the past couple weeks, was only staying at Hogwarts to keep Sylvia company. The blonde still had not told anyone but Evangeline about her living conditions, but the brunette assumed it was only a matter of time before their friends and those friends parents found out.

To everyone's delight, there was to be another Hogsmeade trip on the very last weekend of term.

''We can do all our Christmas shopping there!'' Juliet exclaimed. ''Although, I can't imagine mother and father satisfied with the likes of Toothflossing Stringmints from Honeydukes.''

''There is bound to be something for our prestigious parents in Hogsmeade,'' Evangeline assured her, ''I'm in need of a couple gifts too, so I'll help you look.''

''That is just the matter, Eve,'' Cassius sighed, ''you can not.''

''What ever do you mean?''

''As it is the last Hogsmeade trip of the term, we have plans at the Three Broomsticks.''

''Do we now?'' Evangeline laughed, twirling her quill between her fingers. ''I must have missed the part where you not only told me, but asked me.''

''I am telling you now. Besides, there is no need to ask if I can already predict your answer.''

''Don't flatter yourself, Cassius. Men tend to make that mistake too often, and it never works out in their favour.''