chapter 40

Petra's pov:

        I killed the stupid bitch cos she was useless and the world would be a better place with one less careless teacher.

       I am so mad right now. I had been sulking for two months, while my girlfriend is somewhere probably suffering. We would have known earlier if Laurel didn't block Vanessa from both her phone and Maddy's phone. I'm not gonna blame her for what she did because if someone was to hurt her I would literally hunt them down and kill them myself.

    "Why don't you try calling the numbers?" Laurel said.

   She had been feeling so guilty and thinking it was her fault.but I had to reassure her that its not her fault because she did what any other sibling would do if their partner hurt them.

   "I tried but the other one was saying switch off while the other one rang but nobody answered the call."

   "Maybe it's night time in Nigeria and theyre probably sleeping." My mom said downing the glass of wine.

    My phone started ringing.it was the number I was calling earlier.

   "The number is calling back guys" I said nervously.

  "What are you doing just staring at the phone? Answer the call" my snapped at me.

    I answered the call and held the phone to my ear. I was so nervous and excited at the same time. I'm gonna hear my baby's voice after so long.

  "Hello?" I asked when the person wasn't saying anything.

  "Uhmmmm.... Is this Petra?" An unfamiliar voice said.

   "Yes, this is she."

   "Omgg. Finally jeez, girl where did you put your phone all these while?"

   "I don't understand. Who am I speaking with? Where is Vanessa? Why are you using her phone?" I asked genuinely confused because I didn't expect someone else to pick the call.

   The line went silent then I spoke up again "are you still there? Where's Vanessa?"

   "She's in prison"

   "P- prison? What happened?" I said quietly.

   "I don't know if you already know this but, she didn't leave that letter. She was kidnapped at the bank. While Dami was taken from her school. It was planned by Maurice and her father. I don't know why they did it. But when Vanessa came back and refused going back to Maurice and asked for a divorce. Maurice reported her to the police. They arrested her and took her to court. She obviously lost the case because every single person in that court room was bribed now she's going to be spending 10 years in jail." She said in a shaky voice.

  "What? 10 years? What was she arrested for?"

  "They arrested her for 'engaging' in homosexual activites in the country. They even had fake evidence. It was a sorry sight to behold."

    At this point tears was rolling down my cheeks. That's bastard!

  "Where's Dami?"

   "He took her."

     "Maurice is in Nigeria, right?" I asked.
     "Yes he is. You can't do anything he has everyone under his payroll."she said sighing.

  "Oh yes the fuck I can. I promised Vanessa a lot of things and I failed in doing them. I gonna right my wrong. I won't sit here and watch that bastard destroy the life of my girlfriend. I'm coming to Nigeria to take back my wife and child."

(Meanwhile in Nigeria)

Vanessa' pov:

    "I just want to die" I cried into the shirt of officer Daniels. She has been here for me ever since that monster, took it upon himself to defile me.

    Officer Daniels would sometimes come to my rescue but it seems like the sheriff has caught in to what she's doing and threatened to take her badge away from disrupting the 'law'.

    I'm not allowed to go out of this cell. Maurice's orders, I'm not allowed visitors.  I haven't seen my aunt's or my daughter in two months. The only people I see, is officer Daniels and the rapist.

      Officer Daniels give me this little speeches everyday. I would have ended my life if I had a way because either way im still not leaving this place alive. Maurice has made it clear with his weekly visits of torture.

    "I'm still looking for a way to get the sheriff and Maurice exposes." She said rubbing my back.

   "They won't be touched because, believe it or not they're people who are above the law in this country."I said sniffing.

    I'm very grateful she wasn't the bitch I thought she was. She sneaks actual human food to me, not the dog shit they serve in this place.

   "I'm still working on it. Let's just pray to God they get convicted and you get the justice you deserve."

  "I don't believe in God anymore. Where was he when I was being violated and abused by my husband? Where was he when I was being convicted for a 'crime' I didn't even commit? Where was he when my own father aided my kidnap to bring me back to the person who tortured and almost killed me?" I cried.

   Because truth be told, he didn't do anything to stop it. He let then take my happiness away from me. So, maybe he doesn't care about me.

    "This isn't a life officer Daniels! I'm better of dead and gone. I'm sure everyone would be happy I exited this world."

  "I know Vanessa. I'm so sorry, I will make sure you get out of here before the said time. You deserved to be free and I will make that happen." She said standing up.

     "I will check on you later. Rest well, the sheriff is out so you don't need to be worried" she left my cell.

    I doubt that she can make that happen but I don't want to tell her that. She just just keep believing whatever she wants. There's no leaving this place.

    Those rapist are untouchable. I doubt if whatever case she's building would make it to court.

    They might just kill her to shut her up and I don't want that.

   It's better I stay here till the day they finally kill me than for her to risk her life for me.