Ch6 First job

First Job

They were not, just like every hangover the crowd of men and women crammed onto the sick beds looked like the living dead. One man had four different shades of vomit stained onto his clothes. Doctor Bachir passed her a medical mask that was thankfully scented which helped the smell. Terrans didn't get temporary blindness but were supper hypersensitive to light, which was why the wardroom and a dimmer switch. Doctor Bachir gave her a quick soft-spoken review on how to test for Terran alcohol poisoning, liver failure, and how to find Terran veins. Which was difficult for the crew with fur.

The first man she tested was a huge black Felid, or so she thought at least. Powerfully built muscles covered in scars. He was upright, which was a good sign. But when she tested his blood she found that he had three times the minimum levels for alcohol poisoning. She was about to test for liver failure when Bachir tapped her shoulder and signed "he-is-a-j-a-g-u-a-r-stop-very-high-tolerance-he-just- needs-that-green-juice-and-a-s-n-i-c-k-e-r-s" he signed and pointed over to a cart "then-send-g-a-t-o-out-stop-need-space" he then handed her a chart with many different species listed with body weights and their tolerance levels.

Like that the morning passed with her checking up on the bleary eyed and confused sailors. Some of which needed immediate intravenous fluids. Others just need a few extra strength 'tic tacs' or at least that's what the bottle said, she suspected it was really acetaminophen or ibuprofen. Halfway through the morning more and more crewman trickled in, and a small brigade of 'deck apes' were assembled with mops in hand. Glaring pure venom at anyone who looked a little nauseous and shoved a bucket into their hands. At about 1100 the captain's armored figure and a large mountain of a man with bright orange hair and a wild mess of hair growing from his chin, she had heard the word before but couldn't remember what it was called, and was wearing the ugliest kimono she had ever seen, which really hadn't been many. It was a mess of red, green, and black stripes that covered his massive frame.

Doctor Bachir took one look at him and immediately held up a paw and pointed them back outside the door, the captain and the man walked back out and Bachir finished his work and placed a paw on Alwen's shoulder and brought her outside with him.

"I wont have you shouting in my wardroom again Bosun" he growled to the large man.

Alwen then realized that this man was Highland, the bosun. Alice wasn't wrong about the robe, whatever tarrtenn was. She noticed that all the 'apes had surreptitiously vanished

"Mibbe sam' yellin' wuild dea'em weel, ey" he boomed. His accent in galactic common was so thick she could barely understand. "Aye mibbe 'e shuild joos work et out'o'em. Caple laps o'round the 'ship shiuld do, mibbe o' hunnert. Fex'im riet up."

"You will do nothing of the sort" Alwen heard herself say before she could even really think about.

The burly orange haired man glared at her, "Oh, an' hoo ar' ye lass?" he asked menacingly.

Part of Alwen wanted to shrink back, but the rest of her felt indignant. "I am this ships doctor; in other words I am in charge of those men and their health as long as they are on one of our beds. You will not run these men ragged until I say their ready to leave" she shot back at the skohtmahn.

The huge man who dwarfed Alwen visibly shrunk back and become almost sheepish "ai meent after, nea afoor mum" he said, much less boisterous now, and also marginally more coherent.

The captain who hadn't said a word yet smirked "I can handle this Highland. I need you to put together a shore party to track down the ten or so men who haven't checked in yet"

"Aye yere're reit, ai'll dea tha" he rumbled before turning to the empty hall and roared "eeny wan o' ye diddy clarty basturt's oo' can 'ear mea line 'ap" and twenty deck 'apes materialized out of nowhere.