Chapter Twenty Three

Start from the beginning

When we stepped outside, Aasim immediately descended. "Come on; let's get out of Pendleton before another elf hops a ride with us!" Jake shouted.

After considering Jake's thoughts I turned to Aasim before speaking. "Do you sense dark magic anywhere?"

When I knew he didn't, I turned to everyone. "We're good."

Jake grabbed hold of Elijah. "Sorry, man, but I'm gonna have to death grip you. That whole separation thing is not happening to me."

"If you've been there, picture it clearly," Elijah said to us all.

"I've got it," Jake said, closing his eyes tightly. "I even have a spot in mind."

"We'll have to move fast. Keep your weapons ready. Once we have our wits about us, we will race to the entrance. That close, there is sure to be danger," John pointed out.

"It would have been nice to place a bet or two," Staci admitted, reaching for Elijah.

******

"Wow," I said, as the effects of wind travel finally wore off, stunned at the beautiful sight before me.

The powerful white waters rushed to the river below; surrounded by acres of green trees and jagged rocks. Crowds of individuals stood in awe, marveling as they captured photos heading too and fro. A breeze carried the waters across the area in a gentle mist, tickling my skine like humidity.

Elijah gripped my hand and dragged me toward the falls. "I know it's amazing to behold, but there is little time!"

"How do we find where the relic is to be placed?" Staci asked as she ran up the hill toward the waterfall. We kept a steady pace as we ran past the crowd of people, my glistening sword, and Elijah's glowing blade keeping them from their sight.

"The spot will glow as we draw close!" John yelled.

The pathway we traveled on was getting steeper with each step; surrounded by a small stone wall that kept the greenery safe from pedestrians. I felt my heart race, though it wasn't the vertical trail getting to me, but rather the idea of leaving this world behind.

When we reached the bridge that lay directly in front of the falls, the stone around my neck shone brightly and drew the attention of my eyes. "It's glowing!" I yelled out.

"So is the rock!" Jake pointed toward the falls. Near the bottom, a single rock as bright as a star lit up the water,

"We're heading the wrong direction!" Staci groaned before we all turned the other way.

"No!" I screamed, when my eyes caught sight of two elves jabbing their swords into the glowing rock.

Using wind travel, Elijah appeared on top of a large rock just left of the waterfall's second pool. His blade swung wildly in the air as it glowed brightly. He pierced one of the elves unexpectedly, causing him to disappear in a cloud of dust, as the other turned to fight.

John waved his arm and sword, and I knew that he must be concealing Staci once again. It was then that the female elf, along with the centaur, had appeared near Jake and John. The three of them were now in a wild battle; their swords thrashing around madly as the elf and centaur teleported around them.

"Addisyn, get down there now!" John yelled.

"Aasim!" I cried, climbing on top of the bridge's edge.

He swiftly moved for me to jump on his back, carrying me straight to the glowing rock, extending my arm with the necklace in hand, I watched as the magnificent water began to split in two forming twin falls from the top all the way to the bottom, making room for my stone to touch the rock.

Without hesitation, I slammed the rock into place, causing the glow to spread the length of the water. With a rumble and heavy shake, the rocks seperated until a doorway appeared. As the water continued to fall, it remained separated into two distinct streams surrounding the open door.

I turned to face Elijah, who cheered wildly, his sword in the air. Jake, John, and Staci were exchanging hugs, but I heard none of their cries of excitement; the water roaring so loudly beside me I could hardly hear myself think.

Be the first to step across the portal, Aasim was saying to me. I'll retrieve the others.

Elijah was already making his way toward the deepest part of the pool and motioning me to go on.

Shaking my head no, I spoke. "We do this together." I smiled at Elijah before looking up at our friends, his head nodding in understanding.

Aasim flew toward the others and landed softly on the bridge, Elijah appeared only a moment after.

"There's a step that allows access above the water. I say we appear together on it. Then we all step in together. We'd better hurry; those elves are forming again," I suggested.

"Is there no time for celebration?" Staci said, disgusted.

"Not during a war," John pointed out.

We wind traveled to the small step, and then each of us turned to the other, proud that we'd made it this far and grateful we weren't facing it alone. Of course the fear of the future lingered in my mind, but after everything we'd faced I knew we could do this as long as we had eachother.

Elijah's face was as bright as the glowing water, and with my hand in his, I turned one last time toward my first home. The two male elves were almost back in form. It was right then that we all took our first steps into Arwick, leaving the world we knew behind. Then, the portal instantly closed shut.