Chapter 8: Return of the Bully

Earth, Nov. 14th 2016 @8:00 PM. As time passed, the ray of light faded away to reveal the escape pod dug into the street. Smoke surrounded it, so no one knew who or what was inside of it. All they knew is they should run far from it.

Genji, disguised, examined the pod from a decent length away. His hearts ached, hearing and watching the terror going on below.

Within the panic was a hint of naivety. A dangerously curious man with a camera approached the pod with reckless caution.

"Come on...come on...almost there..."

Once he felt close enough, he pressed down on his polaroid camera's button and took the shot. He backed up and took out the film the camera spat out. After a good couple of waves, he had a look.

Much to his surprise, nothing was inside of the pod. Just a black, cushioned interior.

"Huh? But I tho-"

Before he fully came to realizing it, he was already a few inches off the ground, being held up from his neck.

"What, thought you were going to nail some creepshot?"

The man was unable to speak, all he could muster was pained whimpers.

"Jokes, be it Hell or Earth, men are just jokes." She said as her grip tightened some more.

"Let go of him, Alyssa! We aren't here to hurt humans!"

She scoffed at Zoey's call.

"You aren't, but I'll use all of my resources in order to find him. If he's around surely he'll stop me before Mr. Creep goes bye-bye."

"...What? You don't mean..."

"All it would take is a bit more pressure, and his neck will be crushed. I wonder how long humans can live without the trachea."

"Alyssa...please don't do this. That's an innocent life!"

"Don't worry, I'm giving him a minute to get here. Surely he's on his way. If not...then that's a shame."

Zoey could only stand there in silence, knowing she was too weak to do anything to stop Alyssa.

"Hey, tell me. Do you have faith in your Ōkami? Do you think he'll be here in time to save you? Do you think he cares about human lives?"

Alyssa progressively increased her grip on his neck. The man's clawing and kicking increased in intensity as he fought for his life, fighting to stay conscious.

"I'll tell you what I think, he won't. Because he's a boy, and boys are selfish creatures. He doesn't care about you, or anyone in this city. I mean, he only became the Ōkami for his own gain. If only the last Ōkami wasn't taken away, maybe then you would have been saved."

Alyssa kept her eye on the clock displayed on one of the LED screens. She saw the minute tick up and held onto her word.

"Uh oh! Looks like time is up! Better luck with those shots in your next life."

Moments away from snapping his neck, a shout was heard from a distance.

"LET HIM GO, NOW!!"

Landing in front of Alyssa came Genji. He stood there with clenched fists. At that moment, he noticed their disguise was an exact copy of his. Only difference was that theirs is white as well as that paint-like masking.

"Ahhh, there he is. But you're a tad bit..."

Alyssa stared at Genji as she suddenly jerked her wrist to the right. An audible crack was heard from the man as he no longer struggled to escape.

"...Late."

Alyssa tossed the corpse over to the side a few feet, leaving space for the two.

"You...You killed him!"

"Yeah, no shit. You gonna do something about it?"

Around Genji's hands came a short, weak spark of purple electricity. And in an instant, Genji appeared right in front of Alyssa's face to deliver a blow. It landed, and she went much further than anyone would have thought. She flew over a couple buildings, but Genji pursued after her.

Zoey, left alone, could only think about what she saw.

"Purple...The last time I saw that was at lunch all those years ago..."

Zoey looked around at the destruction around her, also realizing she couldn't hear any screaming from civilians anymore.

"I...I don't want to do this. Maybe I could look for anyone that needs help...I just can't bring myself to watch them fig-"

At that moment, she heard someone's voice in her head.

"I would advise against that, my dear girl. You have a mission to accomplish. If you can't do it, then I'll just get the other you to do it."

Zoey's eyes widened at the threat as she could feel her heart rate increase.

"N-No! Please don't! Genji and Alyssa would die...please...don't do it..."

"Then be a good girl and do what you're told...Oh, I know, you just need something to help you."

After that, Zoey felt a sharp pain in a very specific spot in her brain. Shortly after, her attitude completely changed, and her eyes went cold.

She went mute, but she moved in the same direction Alyssa and Genji were headed to. The Heavens have made their first move against Genji by pitting him against his bully, and lover.