Best Two out of Three

they switching in this 1

Summary: A challenge of provocation takes an interesting turn when Harry decides to up the stakes.

Author: Queenie_Mab (on ao3)

__________

The Challenge

Professor Snape's head shot up from his hunched position behind his classroom desk due to a loud clamouring in the corridor outside.

"Enough!" he spat, throwing down his quill and spattering red ink all over the papers he had been marking. He stormed to the door and stepped into the hall.

Harry Potter had his wand drawn and pointed at Draco Malfoy.

"One more word, Malfoy, and I'll..." His words trailed off when he noticed the dour-faced Potion master's presence. He quickly pocketed his wand.

Draco stood with his arms crossed, flanked on either side by his goons, Crabbe and Goyle. He wore a satisfied smirk.

"Potter," Snape bellowed. "Ten points from Gryffindor for threatening a classmate."

Snape stood still as he pondered what to do about the situation, resting one elbow against the other arm and tapping a long finger against his pursed lips. He then began to pace back and forth before Malfoy's leering face.

"What this situation calls for is a punishment. Since Potter seems to have trouble keeping his wand in his pocket, I feel that a challenge of staying power is in order." His voice drawled silkily while his face contorted into a malicious sneer. "We'll make it a game. Tomorrow on the Quidditch pitch, all seventh year Gryffindor and Slytherin students will be broken into pairs. It will be a game of provocation. Whoever throws the first curse will be eliminated and the last man standing will earn one hundred points for his house."

Draco and Harry glared at each other.

"All right then," Snape said. "I'll inform the Headmaster at once and he'll make the announcement at dinner this evening. Now, get going, all of you. You'd better begin practising."

He swished past them in a swirl of black and ascended the staircase on his way to Dumbledore's office. Harry gave Draco a thoughtful look, and turned away.

"You'd better be ready, Potter," Draco sneered. "I'll be waiting."

Harry turned back and frowned at Draco, his brow furrowed. "Oh, I'll be ready," he said, and side-stepped Crabbe's bulk on his way to the staircase.

The Bet

The following day the challenge had been on for two hours. All of Gryffindor and Slytherin had been defeated except Harry and Draco. They were riled up, in each other's face, each adamantly refusing to draw his wand. They stood nose to nose, chest to chest, swapping insults of the worst sort.

Snape began to take bets amongst the professors at the field. They crowded around him to get in on it, with the exception of Albus Dumbledore.

Harry changed tactics and said in a low voice, so only Draco could hear: "I am so hard for you right now."

"What are you playing at, Potter?" Draco spat.

Harry flipped back his fringe and gave a crooked grin. "It's just that I've never seen you this close before. I find your body extremely attractive."

Draco blinked and crinkled his forehead. "So when did you go all poofy?"

Harry laughed in his face and shrugged. "Calling me a poof isn't going to make me draw my wand, or at least not the one in my pocket."