Only For You, Malfoy

Top!Draco

Bottom!Harry

Summary: Draco has started a new position at the Ministry. Eager to make a good impression, he attends a Ministry work party at the Leaky Cauldron. However, the only other guest to arrive is Harry Potter, and they do more than just settle their differences...

Author: keepyourheartopen (on ao3)

think they switches in this fic idk

________________________________

Draco Malfoy had earned himself a Ministry position for just over a month by that time. He was settling into Ministry life well, even befriending some of his colleagues and meeting up with them after work at the pub. He worked hard and earned praise for his efforts. He'd even started getting on with Granger and Weasley, two of the Golden Trio. He got praise from most, but not all. Potter was one of the exceptions – the one part of the Golden Trio that found it hard to forget.

He hadn't expected Harry Potter to ever hold anything other than hostility towards him. He barely saw Potter, seeing as he was so busy with his Chief Auror business – but when he did see him, they barely exchange more than a word or two to each other. They could hardly meet each other's eyes.

But this time was different. There was a party being held in the Leaky Cauldron. Draco's workmates had convinced him to go, and he didn't have the heart to say no – particularly as he was new. He wanted to assimilate with them so desperately and would attend any social event that would allow him to do so.

He arrived at the Leaky Cauldron and the place was mysteriously empty. He walked up to the bar and asked the bartender where everyone was.

"Beats me, Malfoy. What were you expecting, a ruddy party?"

Draco gaped at him. "Yes, as a matter of fact. A party full of Ministry workers."

The bartender laughed at him. "No such thing tonight, Malfoy."

The door swung open and Draco's head turned, relieved. Someone at last. The bartender clearly hadn't got the memo for the party.

Draco's jaw almost dropped to the floor when he saw it was none other than Potter himself. Harry met his eyes with equal bewilderment. Harry walked in, confused that it was only Malfoy there.

"Potter." Draco said, but with less of the venom he would use at school.

"Malfoy. Here for the party?" Harry said as amiably as he could muster.

"Not much of a party here, Potter. Where is everyone?"

"I was about to ask you the same question." Harry said.

They went back and forth with the bartender and they argued about a party and no party, guests and no guests. It looked like they were in the wrong, and there would be no party that night at the Leaky Cauldron.

"Are you both getting a ruddy drink, or not?" the bartender said.

Malfoy scoffed and ordered a firewhiskey. Harry asked for the same. They took a seat by the bar, on the high stools – waiting for their drinks to arrive. They sat in awkward silence for a few moments.

"How is – "

"Is the – "

They had spoken simultaenously. They stopped, letting the other talk, but found themselves in silence again.

"You first, Potter."

"No, Malfoy, you first, I insist."

Draco rolled his eyes. "I was going to ask how's being Chief Auror."