29

Neither of them had wanted to pull away. Elizabeth refused to loosen her grip on him and Alucard wanted to feel as much of her as he was allowed. Their stubbornness and desires outweighing their need to breathe.

It got to an uncomfortable point where Elizabeth's fingertips and lips felt an itching numbness before they broke the kiss. Alucard parted from her with a mournful sigh, aching for more.

"Giving up so easily, Belmont?" he teased, sending her bright red as she tried to regain her composure and her breath. She sent him a softened glare and huffed deeply as his hair fell over her.

"Never," she said defiantly, her blue eyes piercing him.

He leant in for another kiss, opting for a softer, kinder brush of her lips. The kiss made something deep within Elizabeth wriggle with pleasure, a strange sensation building in her abdomen. She ignored it, focusing on how soft his lips felt. She let his lower lip move along hers, letting it fill her mouth enough for her to nip at it with her teeth. Alucard growled from the back of his throat.

"Then perhaps I must administer some restraint, I don't think having your brother snoring a few feet away is the best ambience for this," Elizabeth went pale. What if her brother had heard anything? What if he knew? Her eyes went wide and her mind spiralled through every scenario possible.

Alucard noted the change in her expression and sat up, pulling her up with him. He helped her to her knees and pointed to the corner between the stacks where Trevor and Sypha had hunkered down, "See? I assure you, he has not stirred since you woke up," she was still unconvinced, he could be pretending. Alucard moved his head to the side, "I promise you, he is deeply asleep. He and Sypha were talking for hours, once she fell asleep, he did too,"

"You were listening in?"

"I was bored,"

"Isn't that rude?"

"When you have the ability to hear a pin drop from miles away, you don't get a choice of what you're listening to. When you ever pick up the power, feel free to lecture me on it then," he said with a firm tone. His use of when made her insides curl and twist but she left it be, it wasn't the right time of night to pull on that thread.

Elizabeth felt his fingers seeking out hers, interlocking with hers with a delicate and deliberate touch. His skin was surprisingly warm against her. She had always imagined it feeling cold and almost empty but he had changed her perception of a lot of things during their travels. Just being near him made her head spin.

"I suppose we should talk about this," she said, rubbing her fingers over his knuckles.

"I suppose we should," he replied, absently playing with her hand.

They had both been flirting at the edge of whatever this was for some time, pretending it didn't exist. She had denied it as much as possible, telling herself that he was the vicious monster of her nightmares. He had told himself that she was ignorant, rude and stubborn beyond anyone he had ever met, save for her brother. They hadn't sought out the affection but found themselves comforted by its presence.

"We might die tomorrow," she said softly, the weight of her mortality weighing on her. Going up against Dracula was the hardest thing she could do, she didn't even know if she'd survive the fight. She just had to make sure Trevor did, she would save her brother at any cost.

Alucard moved her head into the crook of his neck with a gentle touch, "Perhaps we will, or perhaps we won't," he said, unsure of what to say to her. The last time he fought his father, he had been almost killed, foiled by a single blow to the chest. He knew she wouldn't survive that, none of them would. A new fear tugged at him.

"Alucard-" she started.

"What if we didn't die? What if by some miracle we stop my father, we put an end to this, what would you want to do?" he asked. The question had occurred to her. She wanted to think about the future, to consider her options but her family has always called it wishful thinking and tried to train it out of her and her twin. They had lived their lives from one meal to the next, one fight to the other and it was exhilarating and exciting but the possibility of a future was frightening.

"I don't know," she said plainly. 

"You don't know or you don't want to tell me about it?" his face drooped. 

She closed her eyes and pondered for a moment, trying to find the right words to explain herself, "I just don't have any idea how to live a life without all of this," she motioned around the room, "...Trevor and I was born into this, we don't know any different. We've only had each other and it's been that way for a long time. I don't know if I could-"

Alucard cut her off again, "I didn't ask what you could do after this, I asked what you wanted to do,"

The rephrasing made her chest tighten, what did she want to do? Her life offered little choice, little room for wanting. She wanted a great many things; a warm bed at night, a hot meal every day, a home to come back to. Home. She wanted a home, a place that wasn't filled with monsters or weapons, she wanted a family of her own. If Alucard was in her future, the possibility of a family was null. She didn't know if he was her future but she couldn't unpack everything tonight.

"I want a home," she finally said, knowing it wasn't a lie but feeling the pangs of guilt eat away at her belly.

"That's not what I was expecting," Alucard admitted, blinking with disbelief.

"No?"

"No, I was expecting-"

"A new sword? A fresh tunic? Gold? Jewels?" he scoffed at her and pulled her in closer.