Chapter 39.2 - Aster

The sun is setting earlier

The sun is setting earlier. It's barely even evening, and the sky is dim. I feel like I somehow should have noticed sooner. It makes me wonder what else I'm not noticing.

My thoughts are slow with exhaustion. Reyan told me I wouldn't be any good for the country if I didn't take care of myself—that seems like good enough reason to take a nap before dinner. I barely have the presence of mind to ask a maid to come wake me at seven. Hopefully I won't sleep that long; it's only five now, and dinner is traditionally at six. But I don't have any engagements, and even walking down the hall I catch myself struggling to keep my eyes open.

I think I fall asleep before my head finishes falling to the pillow. Like last night, dreams of death haunt me, and around me, my bloody countrymen fall, screaming. The infirmary is crowded and gory. Men and women whimper, and the screams of the battlefield echo in my mind. Over and over, I walk into Sela's room, her old one, her new one, and find her dead. Sometimes beheaded, sometimes poisoned, but over and over, dead. Then someone's banging on the door but Sela's door is already knocked down, and somehow someone is banging. Everything is darkness and death but someone's still banging, banging—

I jolt awake. The banging comes again. Panicked, I fly to the suite door and throw it open.

A maid steps back, eyes wide.

I stare at her.

"It's seven, milord." She looks like a startled mouse.

I blink, uncomprehending, but then her words sink in, and the tension flees my body. "Right." I blow out a breath. "Right. Thanks."

She nods hesitantly. "Is there anything else?"

My stomach growls, and I blush. "Ahm, no. Thank you."

She slowly nods again. "Yes, milord."

The burning in my cheeks intensifies. I want to see Illesiarr, and Illesiarr will already have soup.

She leaves, and I grab my cloak and belt on my rapier, locking the door behind me. I hurry back to the infirmary, simultaneously feeling more energized and like my mind hasn't rested at all.

When I get there, the door is closed, but I push in. It's never locked, especially anymore, so that no one injured has to wait in the hall. Illesiarr looks over from where he stands, fingers in a cabinet.

"My boy," he says. "Is something the matter?"

I bite my lip. That's the second time today he's asked that. "Do I have to come only when something is wrong, Illesiarr?"

He closes the cabinet. "Of course not. I just..." He pauses, looking concerned. "Worry."

"Sorry."

He shakes his head. "Now, what is it?" He leads me over to the table.