Foxy *R*

She restlessly fidgeted around with her colorless hands, and my nails traced the outline of her desk. I grabbed a stray chair up to the side of her desk and folded my arms across the lap. My inner detective could sense how the silence was starting to bug her.

"So what concerning Ed?".

"Out of everyone here, I think you've endured him longest. Has he been always... "Off?"

She declined her chin towards her desk and gazed at a rather old looking file, probably one Ed had inquired her to retrieve due to the new fingerprints on its dusty cover. She brought her eyes back up to mine and nodded.

"When he first started, he was a nicer man. Then several months ago something in him changed, then he nearly got fired", she said playing with the rim of her empty coffee cup

"Do you know why Ed... Has such an interest in you?" I whispered.

She shook her head, "I've noticed but he just shows it creepily. When I first meet him he brought me a cupcake with a bullet on the top, saying it was some type of riddle..."

"Meaning beautiful but dangerous, I know. Ed does fancy his riddles, doesn't he...? I think Ed just doesn't know how to behave around women", I paused to stand up, "But just know if you hurt him... You'll have to suffer me", I finished looking down at her.

Her skin turned white, and her rosy cheeks drained to the empty color of the paper she was surrounded by. If veiled threats evacuated her, I wonder what Ed's turmoil with the body parts did to her.

"You care for him don't you? You're upset he doesn't return it" her into wishing made her say.

"I do. I'd appreciated if that didn't leave this penitentiary of an office. Good day, Ms. Kringle" I gritted out between teeth as I rose to leave.

I flung the door behind me with enough force to make the knob vibrate.

My receding path up the stairs gave off an eerie empty echo, which reminded me of the barren look my eyes probably held. I brought my palms up to my eyes to dust away the cobwebs. Regardless my brain skimmed over the conversation, I don't think I'd have to bug her again. Distracted by my racing thoughts, I nearly crashed into the devil as I reached the top of the stairs. He was biting an apple and looked at me. He chewed, then opened his mouth.

"Something appeared off when you weren't in your lab, find anything interesting?" his voice was harsh and I knew he wasn't happy finding me coming up from her office.

"No, I don't see what you like about her. She's as plain as the files she concerns herself around," I said keeping my voice low.

He took another bite of the apple and tossed it in the garbage can a few meters away.

"Score," he said as it landed in the bin, "also, Jim needs us."

Ed stayed in front of me, my heart raced; if I didn't get a tongue lashing from him later I would be surprised. His hair shimmered bronze in the new lights, and it held my attention until Ed slammed a file on the desk.

'The Ogre'

A new word had been scribbled across it from last time I've seen it, 'Foxglove'.

"What about this is familiar?" I whispered looking at it.

Jim made a small coughing noise, and my eye darted up. Ed's impatience was scolding me, 'sorry' I mouthed but he ignored me. Jim flipped open the file and I saw Barbara's MISSING photo. My heart lurked, I recognized how much she meant to him. I wanted so desperately to try to reassure him that she'll turn up, but I was less than optimistic about it. My saving grace was a gleeful detective Bullock trotting over. Between his fingers was a gold piece of paper, sure enough, it was an invitation to the Foxglove and in his other hand was a huge duffle bag.

"I scored a fake ID, and some nice Italian suits fell in my locker from last week's bust. So I'm gonna go get changed and see what I got myself into" Bullock said rolling his eyes.

I watched as he walked into the men's loo. He had a bounce in his step. Was it excitement? I returned my eyes back to Jim. He looked horrible, bags under his eyes and it looked like he hadn't showered in a few days.

"What happened to the mutant Viper case?" I asked.

"Solved," Ed said.

"So why is Bullock getting dressed up to go instead of you?" I asked.

"He has more under the table connection, who will be there too and will recognize him," Jim said.

I looked over to find Bullock returning. My eyes widen, and it was difficult to keep my mouth from opening. The suit and the comb backed hair looked rather dashing on him. From looking like a rugged cop that Gotham's underbelly beat on, he looked like one of the dashing prince's of Gotham.

"The transformation is stunning on you Bullock" I muttered, with a flustered smile.

"Thanks," he said quickly.

Jim gave a slight nod, "So Harvey try not to break your cover unless begin to go sideways or if you think you got the Ogre trapped. Be careful", he said placing a hand on Harvey's shoulder.

"Oh come on Jim this should be a walk in the park" he smiled, twisted on his heel and headed out with invitation in hand.

Bullock's stepped were bouncy, nothing seemed like it would phase him. My eyes followed him out. Maybe it was anticipation or maybe it was adrenaline, but hopefully whatever was fueling him didn't get him hurt.

"He cleans up nice" I muttered.

He had to be a few years older than me, but that wasn't a problem and didn't stop me from providing a compliment when one was needed. Jim raised an eyebrow at me but kept his mouth shut. Ed gave me a glare but also kept his mouth shut. I returned my eyes to the file. I'd probably just put my foot in my mouth.

"What condemns a man to kill to find 'The perfect one'?" I asked.

"An unloved heart" Ed countered.

"Whatever the case, he won't be living through a trial," Jim said with a slight snarl to his voice.

I nodded, a man like the Ogre shouldn't be in this world, but murdering him seemed a bit too far. Then again it wasn't my place to stand up and say ... Or was it...?

"No one is above the law, but killing him or anyone is against the law unless the judges put him to death", Ed said, reading my mind.

I gave nod in arbitration, which merited a smile from Ed.

"It may be against the law, which he has broken. Now go to your offices or something" Jim snapped at us.

He had an angry in his eyes, which made me nearly want to whimper. The glance was terrifying. Ed didn't have a response to it. I turned and obeyed, and headed towards my office. Ed's footsteps followed me in.

"So do you have unrequited for Detective Bullock?" He asked as soon as he closed the door

"I believe if I do or not isn't your business," I hissed, sitting at my desk.

"Whose side are you on, Madeline? Those who belong or those of us who treated like nobodies?"

"Who says I'm on either side? We're smarter than them, more evolved if anything they're the lower breed but that doesn't mean we have to be divided" I told him.

I believed that, only to some point. Gotham was a breeding ground for evil, who belonged anyway? Ed nodded and sat.

"In the end, everyone is going to be another piece in someone else's riddle" he responded.

"Why do I try so hard to satisfy everyone?" I asked, "Especially you", I added slightly in my head.

"That's who you are. You try too hard even if it'll get you nowhere. Do you think it matters to them? They'll never truly be happy with either of us" he said, letting a little melancholy appear in his eyes.

"Don't tell me about unrequited feelings, because I've dealt with that since day one."

"It's feeling condemned to an empty existence," he replied.

I nodded, "It is indeed. So is recognizing you can't protect them, nor save them from themselves.