CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

"I think I have blisters on my blisters," Lymin complained, not for the first time. In fact, his complaint was getting so old, Abriel wasn't sure if he'd actually spoken or if she was replaying a previous conversation they'd already had in her head.

            "I estimate at least an hour and we'll be there," she tossed over her shoulder.

            "About fucking time," Lymin said with feeling. "The only part about this I'm not thrilled about is the hike straight back to the Crescent."

            "Too bad," Abriel said, piteously. "It's our only choice. We have to assume Meshodi's embroiled in whatever plan Braen devised and is out of the game. He's not going to be any good to us. Our best hope is finding a scout squad on perimeter duty that won't arrest me on sight and learn what we can."

            "And if we're arrested?" Gris asked, not exactly criticizing her but not really helping either.

            "That's not going to happen," she assured him.

            "Yeah, but what if it does?"

            "Then we'll fall back with the moleboys and figure out what to do from there."

            "It'll be interesting watching you and Izak hang out," Lymin speculated.

            Abriel rolled her eyes. "Don't be such an asscracker. I'll have my boot on his throat in a heartbeat if he so much as blinks in my direction." A little while later, "We're nearing the gen lab. Not far now."

            "Gen lab? What's that?" Gris wanted to know.

            "Genetics lab," Abriel supplied. "It's where our researchers make a less complicated brand of Progeny. Remind me to explain it all to you later."

            "If we get a later," Lymin muttered under his breath, but otherwise kept walking.

            Without Keko to relay advanced warning to other shepherds, there was nothing they could do other than charge ahead. Abriel knew that soon, they'd hit the shepherds' radar and someone would investigate. Which squad would be on gen lab duty? Someone friendly? Or someone loyal to de Goa, and by association, Braen? If that happened, would she even get a chance to explain herself and all her plans?

            Right on cue...

            "Halt and identify yourselves!"

            She almost cried, her relief was so palpable. There was no mistaking the scout. "Poe! I'm back!"

            There was a moment of stunned silence before the big scout lowered his pistol and motioned for the scout beside him to do the same. His shepherd Nyoko cocked her head, looking puzzled, as if sensing something off. Then Turney took the first tentative steps toward her, his gaze moving between herself, Lymin, and Gris.

            Turney pulled down his optic spheres and lit a flare. The tunnel burst into brightness. "Abriel? Is that you?"

            She removed her own spheres. "Yeah, it's me."

            A look between friendly and confused touched his face. She knew that that look meant, wished she didn't, or that she didn't have to live in this moment. Still, there was nothing for it but to acknowledged it and accept the pain that came with it.

            "Nyoko wants to know where's Keko," he said. "Why can't they touch thoughts?"

            Something in her broke a little, but she couldn't afford to fall apart. Instead, she said nothing and gave a tiny shake of her head. He'd understand soon enough.