CHAPTER TWENTY

"Porter, I think the tunnel's getting brighter."

            Abriel hadn't been sure before; with so much darkness, it was difficult to tell. Now, her optic spheres were lightening, decreasing the resolution as the ambient light increased.

            Porter stopped and cocked his head to the side. "Guess the trip is faster when you know where you're going."

            Anticipation filled Abriel. Excitement, dread, and dozen other emotions threatened to strangle her on their way to the surface.

            "It might take time for our eyes to adjust," Porter continued. "You have light in the Crescent, but sunlight is brighter, more intense. It's comparable to the hydroponics labs, but it's not like the vids. It has a warmth and almost a texture you have to experience for yourself."

            Sunlight? A warmth and texture? Well, she'd know firsthand soon enough. In the meantime, she marched forward, trying not to rush him. Still, he rushed too. His pace increased from a walk to a solid trot. When he removed his optic spheres, she did the same, though she did have to reach up and flick his off—he kept forgetting to power-down. She blinked. It was brighter, and warmer. The air didn't hold the same coolness, and there was a humidity to it she'd only ever experienced in the hydroponics labs. And it smelled like flowers, and dirt, and nothing all at once—not like the filtered or recycled air she'd breathed all her life.

            As the tunnel grew wider, the incline less steep, and the walls less damp, she found herself running. An opening appeared. It was so bright, it looked like a giant canvas vid screen—all white and without distinguishing features. Then she had to stop. It was too much. She caught herself on a rock outcrop, wincing. As much as she wished to charge out, she couldn't. Not the way her eyes burned and filled with tears. When the pain receded enough that it became bearable, she edged closer. The world through the opening looked less white and grew in detail and color. She paused again, waited. Moved closer. Waited. Edged closer still. Her hair was moving now, some unseen force having its way with it, bringing strands to tickle at her nose. Wind! Not air pushed by fans to ventilate tunnels or a gust whipped up because she was running. Real wind!

            "Abriel?" Keko's sending resonated with concern. "If it's too painful, we can turn back."

            "No way! Just stick with me, puppy."

            "Always." She could feel him at her hip, brushing against her left side.

            "Porter?" she called out, voice shaky. "You there?"

            "I'm right here." His voice was close to her ear. "Try the optic spheres again. They might help you tone down the brightness."

            "No. I want to see it with my own eyes."

            Slowly, so slowly, the pain lessened and the images coalesced. She took another step forward. She could see trees now, and a sky. Lost ancestors, a sky! Blue! A blue like she'd never seen before. So deep and rich a blue, she was crying without even realizing because it was so impossible, so unlooked for, so...

            She fell to her knees, overwhelmed by it all. "I can't..." Her breath caught. Words failed her. "It's too much!"

            Porter fell with her. He touched her shoulder, brushed the hair back from her face, gazed down at her. "You can."

            "Why didn't you warn me?" she whispered. "Why didn't you say it would be so..." Her voice cracked. "So...blue?"

            He smiled and with ease, scooped her into his arms. "I'll take you the rest of the way."