CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

Porter swiped his pass key over the sensor and the Reason Tower elevator opened without protest. Well, at least he was still allowed into the offices. At least that was one thing he could be optimistic about.

            On the ride up, he located the Naiad complex where his apartment was located. What was Abriel doing right now? He pressed his forehead to the glass. For the moment, he wanted to put everything on hold and rush back to her. Stars, he wanted it so badly, he could almost taste it. Then, he imagined tasting Abriel. He sighed and banged his head lightly against the glass. Soon, he promised himself. Once he finished here, he'd go back to her and they wouldn't leave until Keko decided he needed to go for a walk.

            Exiting the elevator, he noted nothing around the office had changed. Then again, in the grand scheme of things, he really hadn't been gone that long. His own desk was clear and the plants were as lush as when he'd left. Being there was almost pointless. Still, he flipped on the light-board and checked his Chatter. Effiny had said to go about his routines as normal until she spoke to Taltos. What constituted normal anymore?

            "Good to have you back, sir Director."

            In the doorway stood Nazneen, a clay mug of steaming kipi in hand, unflappable as always. Not even his sudden return three days early seemed to phase her.

            "Good to be back."

            "You look tired," she said, stepping into the office. "I thought you'd gone away to relax, but you look worn out."

            Porter's laugh was self-deprecating. "Thanks. Tell me how you really feel. Let's just say it was a trip I won't soon forget. The office will seem tame in comparison."

            "If only." She smiled, but it was fleeting. "May I speak with you before everyone else comes in for the day?"

            Instantly alert, he studied her. "Of course. Come in."

            She stepped inside, closing the door behind her despite them being alone. When she sat opposite him, he saw the worry etched into her face. She thought he looked tired. He could say the same of her.

            "I hate to start off with this when you're not even officially back yet, but Danais has been here a great deal and it's making everyone anxious," she said, voice soft and pitched low. "He's been asking questions—about your fitness to continue working and your commitment to the position. There was even speculation you'd been replaced. Nothing from the Clan directly, but some of the girls...You know how Danais can charm the flighty ones. They think they might raise in rank through association with him. We both know that never works, but the gossip mill won't stop churning regardless."

            Porter sighed, not feeling the panicked jolt he might have once. Now, it was just rage. He sat back in his chair, put his hands behind his head, and looked up at the slate gray ceiling with its soft natural lighting.

            "You don't seem surprised," she said.

            "No, but I appreciate you telling me." He studied her earnest expression. "I've spoken with Effiny. Danais has become an official problem for our Clan."

            Nazneen nodded. "After what happened with your leave, I'm not surprised. Do we have a formal position yet?"

            He eyed her, debating the details. It had occurred to him early on that in searching for the lost colonists, he might be unleashing something on Eos that could influence its entire social structure. Before, the thoughts had been vague, nebulous things without real weight or consequence. But looking at Nazneen sitting across from him so concerned and worried, he understood he would change the lives of more than just those in the Crescent. He would change everything, even for people like Nazneen—people who may not want such chaos in their lives.