Chapter 46

Downstairs, everything looks perfect. The servers are walking around in their penguin suits, distributing canapes and the drinks, dinner will be served soon, the band is playing, and the photographer is already snapping pictures of everyone.

Everyone stops to look at Connor and me. My mother knew exactly what she was doing when she chose this dress. Nico and Ren are already here, and my mother pulls us aside for the annual family photo. The perfect Gallagher family photo. Connor and Ren are standing side by side, looking at us and waiting for the charade to be over.

Nico and I do our best performances, we let out our most charming smiles, the photographer is happy, our parents are happy, so we go back to our dates.

"That looked genuine," Ren mocks.

"Please..." Nico sighs and places his chin on Ren's shoulder and his arm around Ren's waist, making him flush. "Don't even think about moving an inch away from me. That was exhausting. I need to recharge."

"But what if people start looking?" Ren asks.

"Trust me. No one here cares about anything besides themselves." I assure him. "Just make the best of it and pretend no one else is here."

The rest of our group finally joins us. Carla and Miranda look stunning. I expected no less from them. Carla is wearing a petroleum blue gown and Miranda looks beautiful in red satin. Rita and Jorge are color coordinated. She is wearing a baby pink dress and Jorge's tie and pocket square are in the same color. They left Hope asleep in the babysitter's care, and it seems like this evening might not suck completely. We are a colorful bunch.

After dinner, people start to mingle around and drink even more, as we wait for midnight and the fireworks.

"Bella." A shiver runs down my spine and I freeze.

No. No way. This is not happening. It can't be. Peter is standing right behind me. He smiles politely and waves at the rest of the group. When did he arrive? I didn't see him at dinner.

"I didn't think you were coming," he says. "Would you mind if we talked for a minute?"

Without waiting for an answer, Peter grabs my wrist and drags me away. Nico tries to come to my rescue, but our parents get in the way. Connor looks lost and mortified. And the rest of the group is just as confused. Peter knows the house well enough, so he chooses a quiet study on the main floor.

"We have nothing to say to each other." I finally manage to open my mouth.

"Are you sure?"

"What are you insinuating?"

"Why did you come to this party? You never liked this sort of thing. Just confess, you wanted to find me here. You know you're a terrible liar."

"What? Why the hell would I come here to see you? After what you did?"

"Then why are you here?"

"To be with my parents. With Nicholas. My friends."

"Friends? I see you got over me quickly."

"You were the one who left. I didn't replace you and even if I did, it's none of your business."

"Yes, it is. I made a mistake. I see that now."

"Then why did you leave in the first place? Without saying a word."

"I was going through something." He scratches his head and looks to the side.

"Oh god... Not only did you treat me like shit, but you also found a new play toy, didn't you? How could I be so stupid? Why didn't I see it? And you have the nerve to say that I moved on quickly? You are such a hypocrite. I'm so thankful that you left. Now that I think about it, leaving was probably the only good thing you ever did for me."

"I made a mistake. Let me explain everything."

"There's nothing to explain."

"Yes. I cheated and ran away. I was confused and scared about the engagement. As soon as I gave you the ring, I regretted it. I proposed because I felt that was what you were expecting of me."

"What I was expecting from you? I never mentioned it. Not even once. Don't even try to pin this on me. You are a scumbag, and that's it. I should've seen it sooner. I should've realized it by the way you treated me and manipulated me. You liked the idea of being married to me. The naïve rich girl, ten years younger than you, and that was about it."

"Just listen." He grabs my chin and makes me look up at him.

"Let me go. There's anything else we can say to each other. I want to leave." I try to push him away with all my strength but in vain. Tears start following down my face and my body starts shaking. "Just let go or I'll scream. I'll make a scene."

"With the noise of the party, no one will hear you."

"What do you want?"

"You. I want you."

"You've lost your mind. You never wanted me. You liked the idea of having me. But it didn't meet your expectations. Having me was fun until it stopped being, and then you needed to find something new. Just admit it."

"You are babbling nonsense. Your time away clearly has been bad for you."

Suddenly, someone knocks on the door.

"Isabella?" Nicholas asks.

Peter immediately let's go of me and opens the door.

"Nicholas," he says with a charming smile. "We are just having a conversation. We'll be out in a minute."

Taking the opportunity, I take of my heels off and dash out the study, running as fast as I can.

"What the hell did you do?" As I run, I hear Nico ask.

I can hear my brother's voice, but I don't look back. I keep running. I manage to avoid the party and go outside through one of the back doors. Alone in the garden, I collapse to the floor and keep crying and shaking from the adrenaline and the cold. Something touches my skin and I jolt. Connor. Placing his jacket on my shoulders.

He wraps his arms around me, and he holds me tightly until I manage to calm down. We go back inside. Avoiding the main salon, we go up to my room. I crawl into bed and Connor sits beside me, running his fingers through my hair.

"What happened?" Connor asks, and I can sense the fear in his voice.

"I'm fine. Just stay here with me."

He lays down beside me and I cuddle in his arms.

"I'm sorry. I should've done something. I should've stopped you from going with him. I'm so sorry I didn't realize immediately who he was."

"It's not your fault. You had never seen him before."

"But if something had happened—"

"Don't. You have nothing to do with this."

"I have. I should've protected you."

"I shouldn't need protection. And you are with me. Here. Now. That's all I need." Something wet falls on my neck. Connor is crying. I turn around to face him. "Why are you crying?" I clean his tears with my thumb.

"I was so worried about you. I can't stand seeing you like this."

"Connor, just look at me. I told you. I'm fine." I place a soft on his lips.

"I should be the one comforting you. Not the other way around."

I chuckle. "You are doing that. More than you know."