chapter twenty-eight

Start from the beginning

"That's..." I start, not sure how to finish or even put into words and comprehend what he just said. "They are gorgeous."

He places a kiss on the column of my neck, inhaling a deep breath of my scent. "How did you sleep?"

I smile, softly. "Can't complain. My cuddle-buddy wasn't the worst."

"Here I was, waiting to complain about your mediocre cuddling skills, but it seems you beat me to it," he says, and even though there is no hint of humor on his face, I know he is messing with me.

"Oh, shut up." I swat his chest, not withholding the playful smile that breaks loose on my face.

Malachi stares down at me, a childish grin stretching across his features, taking my breath away. It is a shame he doesn't smile as much as he does because it truly is the best thing in the world. Then again, I enjoy the thought of keeping them for myself selfishly too much, so I guess it is a good thing he doesn't do it as often.

His honest gaze lands on my face, a mischievous gleam hinting at them, heating my body and bringing an incandescent glow when he flips us so he is on his back and I am lying on top of him.

Malachi keeps his eyes on me and I try not to fixate on my bare chest, laying flush against his. A smirk tugs at the corner of his mouth, letting me know he is about to speak. "Tell me about yourself, Jones."

"What do you wanna know?"

"Everything," he tells me, saying it like the simplest thing in the world. "But how about we start off with why you wanted to become a surgeon?"

It should be a straightforward answer and I guess, in some sense, it is. I wanted to save people's lives, and every day is a new challenge you don't know you are facing. The human body—in particular, the brain—has always been intriguing to me. While most students complained about anatomy in school, I was one of the few that enjoyed it. No one else in my family or that I knew of followed down that pathway and I have no guidance, but I just know that is the right career path for me, somehow, deep down.

"It is a topic of interest and I think that if there is anything I can gain from this interest, saving lives and helping people is probably the most useful outcome," I explain, disregarding his gaze that never wavers from my own.

"What specialty are you looking at?"

I shrug. "The safer option is pediatric surgery, but I think neurosurgery has consistently been what I hoped for my career to end in."

"Do you think you can do it?"

"Maybe."

"That wasn't the answer I was looking for. Now, sweetheart, do you think you can do it?" he repeats, a bit more conviction this time.

The way he speaks to me sparks optimism and I nod at his question.

"Good girl," he murmurs before using a firm hand to pull my head to the crook of his neck. "Whatever you want to do, you can."

I want to tell him he's wrong, but I can't deny the genuine smile he is giving me and the sense of optimism it evokes.

"Do you have any idea what you are going to do after school, Malachi?"

He breathes in and out, in and out before finally saying, "No idea."

I don't know why that upsets me more than it should. Everyone has hope and dreams for what they want to become, starting from such a young age, and it upsets me Malachi doesn't have the same.

"Well then, what are some of your hobbies?"

Malachi tries his best to shrug with my laying on top of him. "Does being alone count?"