Not Working

Nessa's pov.
What Callum said stuck in my mind.

"Do you think we're drifting apart?"

I hoped we weren't. But lately... Things had seemed different. Not... right.

I decided I'd speak to Roxanne. I needed a girl to speak to my problems about.

"I'm worried about me and Callum," I told her. "We don't seem right at the moment. He seemed to be annoyed when people congratulated me. I mean, I'm not asking him to love that I came first, but I thought he'd just be a bit happy for me."

"Boys are hard work," Roxanne said. "Not to make you more worried, but I've noticed it too. I don't know why it's suddenly happening; you two were the best couple."

She hugged me and said, "I hope it gets better."

....

Eric seemed to sense that something was wrong too. Everyone did. It was like a massive sign was stuck on both of our foreheads saying "We're on the edge of breaking up".

Callum didn't talk to me for a while. I got really worried and decided to talk to him. We needed to sort things out; work out where we were in our relationship.

I called him one time after training. "Uh Callum. Can I speak to you please."

For once he actually acknowledged me. "Oh great! I'd like to speak to you too."

This gave me a bad feeling.

"So..." Callum said, twiddling his thumbs. Now that it had come to it, we were really nervous. "About our relationship..."

Tears started rolling down my cheeks, but I stayed silent.

"We're just... not working anymore," Callum finished.

"Goodbye Callum," I said, tears still rolling down my cheeks.

"Goodbye Nessa," Callum said, and he gave me one last beautiful kiss.