C H A P T E R 21

(Muichiro's pov)

I knew crying on the floor wasn't going to bring y/n back, but there was nothing I could do.

"Muichiro," Shinobu sits beside me. "I know how much you would hate to right now, but we should go. We need to report this to headquarters and let Oyakata-sama know..."

"But, the thing is, how do we get out?" Mitsuri asked.

"Maybe we could—"

Soon a door opened below all of us and we fell right through it, hitting the floor. We were back in the forest near headquarters.

"Cmon let's go," Giyuu said.

"Muichiro get up," Obanai demanded.

"Just go." I answered looking down.

"Get up." He said again.

"No."

"Don't seriously make a fuss now. Now is not the time for this."

"Obanai..." Mitsuri pulled on his arm signaling him to stop.

"For gods sake, just get up so we can all go back and figure out what to do." He started to raise his voice.

I had said nothing. It was just silence.

"Muichiro!—"

"-what if Muzan took Mitsuri from you?" I stood up.

No one had said anything.

"Guys, cmon, seriously let's go." Giyuu started walking and everyone eventually followed him back.

We were back at headquarters with the darkest yet saddest looks on our faces. Maybe because we had just lost a mission and y/n as well. Oyakata-sama wasn't going to be very happy.

"Welcome back children." Oyakata-sama greets us. "And where is y/n?.."

We all looked at each other, not knowing what to say.

"Oh.."

Oyakata-sama had figured it out. His smile faded away.

"Sir, we were hoping to come up with a plan to get her back." Giyuu got down on one knee. "Muzan has converted her..."

"I see." Oyakata-sama says. "I'm sure you all know what to do now. Find her, at all costs." This was our first time seeing Oyakata-sama so serious.

Everyone bowed and made our exit back to our homes. Nothing made me feel worse knowing I wouldn't be able to end the day seeing y/n. Her presence meant so much to me.

As I arrived at my estate, I fell to the ground. I felt so weak. I never expected this day to come, watching another person I love disappear. It's like she just slipped away from my hand. I missed her beautiful presence. They way she just existed made me so... happy? Like life was worth living.

You know that feeling when you hit the bottom of life? Where it's to the point you felt like nothing mattered anymore? You just lose so much, your numb. I was drowning. I was drowning in a ocean of sadness.

I couldn't cry and I didn't understand why. I guess I'm still in shock. After all, it all came to me in a flash. It's not fair. Nothing is ever fair in life. God has his favorites.

Would it really hurt to just have one thing go right in my life?

The things I'd do just to hold you one more time, y/n.

How long do I have to wait just to see you again?

Oh, y/n... It hurts. I miss you.

***

3 months have passed, almost 4. Yet, our missions of finding y/n were unsuccessful. Where could she have gone?

Everyone was starting to lose hope, but my patience never changed. I was going to find y/n and I know it.

Just as I was about to leave headquarters, a strong scent of demon blood was near. A demon in headquarters?

I ran as quick as I could and immediately halted as I see a figure standing in front of Oyakata-sama. He smiled.

That figure... it looked so familiar... It can't be.

The night was too dark to tell.

"Y/n..." Her name slipped out of my mouth.

The figure turns around, revealing themselves.

"Y/n."

Before I could say another word, she bolts out of headquarters. I wanted to go after her, but Oyakata-sama stops me.

"I missed her as much as you did, Muichiro. Even though she nearly killed me two seconds ago, I had a smile on my face. She's not the same y/n you used to know. She works for Muzan now, she should be nothing but your biggest nemesis. I've fully accepted that there's no way we can get her back. I am sorry."

I felt my heart shatter in a matter of 2 seconds. I felt nauseous. I felt... sad.

I did nothing but blurt out her name. I didn't get to see her beautiful face. She didn't even look me in the eye. Was she nothing but a mere stranger to me now?

My sword fell out of my grasp as I fell to my knees.

"Oyakata-sama." Tears fell from my eyes. "I don't know what to do anymore."

"It's okay to not be okay, Muichiro. She's like a shooting star. You touch her, your hand burns and you eventually need to let go of her. Time does nothing but move forward."

"What if I don't want to move forward?"

Oyakata-sama paused. Did I say something wrong?

"Then it is the matter of fact that you are lying to yourself."

What did he mean by that? Lying to myself?

"Well, that was quite a night we had. Get some rest. Goodnight, Muichiro."

"Goodnight, Oyakata-sama."

I walked back to my estate, feeling confused. I was half conscious. Was I dreaming? Or did I really see y/n?

She looked so different, but at the same time it's like nothing changed. The way there was a shine in her eyes at night,

When that day comes and I get to hold you, I'm never letting you go, ever again.

————-

a/n: GUESS WHOS BACK!!! sorry if i've been gone for like a decade 😭 and that my writing style has been a little sloppy. I hope y'all have been okay!

ALSO I FORGOT MOST THINGS ABOUT DEMON SLAYER AND THE PLOT SO PLEASE DONT COME AFTER ME!!! i am trying my best 🥲