Chapter 8

A/N: WOW! I definitely did not expect this book to get any attention. Thank you all for reading! I am always open to suggestions, feel free to leave a comment or message me! <3

*Ella's POV*

As the king and queen start explaining the rules I get nervous. She says the other kids will have different rules than me and I know what that means. The other kids get all the good stuff, like beds and they get to eat at the table. I will be sleeping in the laundry room or maybe if I'm lucky I can sleep on the floor of one of their bedrooms.

Why did I get my hopes up? This is how it always goes. They seem so nice and then I let my guard down. I should have known. I didn't want to be classified; I was fine on my own. It has been less than a day! I just let them in. I told myself I would never-

"Estrella, darling look at me," the queen snaps me out of my thoughts, and I realize she is now crouching in front of me, "what is wrong sweet girl?"

"I-I'm sorry, please continue ma'am" I try to keep my voice as steady as possible.

"Ma'am? Honey, please tell me what is going through that head of yours." The queen wipes a few tears I didn't know had fallen.

"I told you I didn't want to be classified and now I'm back to where I was," I whisper, "I don't want to sleep on the floor because I have to. I would rather live in a box by choice than be treated unfairly by others. I'm sorry Your Highnesses, but I don't want this." I regain my confidence and my voice evens out.

I go to stand but the queen puts her hand gently on mine stopping me in my track.

"You will never have to sleep on the floor here. I won't pretend we are perfect; we will make mistakes but when we do, we will apologize and do our best to fix it. We will do our best to be fair to all of you kids," she says genuinely, "there will be decisions we make that you may not like, but we will always have your best interests in mind."

When I look at her and the kin- daddy, I feel safe. They aren't lying to me. I hug mommy and break down crying. Daddy joins the hug and I feel something shift inside me. My brain feels less overwhelmed and all I can focus on is being in the moment.