Chapter 28: Realistic

Start from the beginning

"And by that you mean?"

"Being realistic."

She folded her hands tightly and looked at me seriously.

I hated anytime she became like this knowing that it was something I most likely didn't want to hear.

"Look, Isabelle. I don't wanna be the one to break this to you but there is no effort that can be made simply by Cupid lighting a fire to your mind. That was just a ruse made up by him in order to keep Angelo in check and sadly, he's aware that he's being deceived as well."

"What..."

"I know, it's a lot to take in, but it's the truth. Why do you think you've only seen fragments of the past? It's because Cupid only allowed that much for you to see! Do you honestly think it would be difficult for someone like him and the Commander of Chief of the heavens to have your memories restored in another form other than him bedding you?"

My skin prickled.

"So what you're saying is that they lied to me?"

She ran a hand through her hair. "No, not necessarily. It's true that sleeping with you will do the trick because you and Angelo...you two are married, Isabelle."

"We're what?!"

"You're bound by law. Heaven's law at that. Once a celestial being gets married in the official ceremony and pledges to someone, no matter the status, shape, form or gender it may come in, they are bound for life."

Stunned, my hands began to tremble and I blindly put the cup down only for it to make an awful clinking sound onto the table.

To be honest, I had my suspicions based on the slip ups from Cupid and also Angelo's confession of me being his and also him blatantly referring to me as his "wife" when we had that argument in the stormy room. However, I hadn't put much thought into the weight of it all. That meant that everything that he had said before could have possibly been true. Just how much more of this was I being left out of? How much more of the truth do I not know?

"That's what Angelo is to you and what you are to him, Isabelle." She solidified.

"I..."

"Now think about it even further. If you are such an important person in his life, his entire existence for him to have done something like that with almost everyone being unsupportive of the two of you, why would he not risk it all to have you remember?"

Then it dawned on me like a horrible, disgusting plot twist.

"Because he doesn't want me to."

Angelo didn't want me to find out the depths of what we had gone through. He didn't want me to know his mistakes. He didn't want me to figure out why I had asked him to erase the memories of us. He didn't want me to...because he didn't want me to hate him again.

Genie simply stared at me pitifully and suddenly I felt sick to the stomach.

"Oh my God," I moaned before dashing to the bathroom.

I had made it down the correct hallway, however I was in such a hurry that I had opened the wrong door.

As I held my hand over my mouth to stop myself from puking all over the wooden floors, I found myself staring into a large mirror.

Actually, I was surrounded by multiple of them.

A circle of mirrors cocooned me and standing before me was a reflection of myself that I had never seen before.

No, wait. I have.

I had seen it before.

It was a ghastly pale image of me; deathly black hair and thin lips and a complexion with no sense of joy or life.