Chapter 33: Outlaw

Start from the beginning

My mind mentally noted that it was five pairs of eyes that looked my way. Their stares became harsher as the seconds went by. As if they had figured something out I had failed to. An older man with a long grey beard narrowed his eyes at me, looking like he wanted to cause me the same level of pain Genie was experiencing but couldn't for some reason beyond him.

I wanted to rush over to her and help, but I couldn't. Genie bawled while holding her head in pain. It sounded like she was being tortured with hot irons.

"S-Stop it!" I finally yelled out loud.

The movements of Genie stopped as I asked.

I looked up with teary eyes to see them all looking at me, only this time the lights had been fully turned on onto our side of the room. With that, they saw me much clearer as I did them.

However, they were looking at me like they had seen a ghost.

But I was only looking at one person in the room.

A man that looked like the midnight sky among all these beings clothed in pure white. His gaze was reduced from a condescening coldness to a look I had never seen before being aimed at me. It was sheer grief. He looked at me like I was dying and I wasn't even aware of it.

"Impossible!" I heard a woman gasp in fright.

My eyes unwilling tore themselves away from the depth of a pair of black eyes onto her.

She was an incredibly beautiful woman with long, brunette hair that framed her face perfectly. The way she grappled at her chest showed that she didn't know what to do with herself in this situation. Her eyes were enlarged and she looked like she was going to pass out any second.

It appeared our escape had caused more chaos than Genie and I could have ever imagined.

Just how the hell did we end up here?

"Larissa, calm down. There is no need to be in such a state." Another man reassured the woman, resting a hand on her tense shoulder.

"Azrael, it's her!" She gasped. "Do you not see who that is?"

"I have eyes, darling. How can I not?"

"Then why don't you use them for once and acknowledge that this is not my imagination and that's really—"

"Elisabetta."

Everyone's eyes turned to the man at the head of the table where they were seated. It was arranged in a circular position in which he became the peak of it.

They marveled at him calling her name—because it sure as hell wasn't mine. They reacted as if saying it was something that should not be done. Almost as if his precious tongue was being tainted by the syllables.

"My Lord..."

"You're finally here." He enthused, arms wide open with a warm welcome. "I have been awaiting your presence."

"You knew she would be here?"

The antisocial, borderline hateful tone came from the heavy-eyed man from earlier. The one who was dressed in black.

I took a glance at Genie who was now unconscious. I still couldn't move to help her.

The head of the congregation simply looked at him with a never-resting smile on his face.

He didn't seem to like that one bit. It was almost like he felt like he was making fun of him. "Ah, silly of me to forget that you're omnipresent and omnipotent. I bet you saw this shit coming from a mile away."

"Mikael!" Someone scolded whilst shocked by his comments.

So he was Mikael? My so-called potential ex-lover? I guess we didn't end up in the wrong place after all.