Chapter 9 *500 Read Special* 🍋

A/N: I can't thank you all enough for the amount of views All In has gotten! I feel like I can take pride in this story now ❤️🥲 As a thank you, I've decided to make this a "special" chapter 😏 Once again, thank you!
_____________________________________________

"All set, ma'am?," Kratt asks.

I skim my eyes around the foyer until they land back on the suitcase and garment bags by the door. It's already way into the afternoon, and we've hardly seen Jean.

"Yes, I think so. Is he ready?"

"He's in his study, but he won't be long."

"Very well. I'm going back upstairs to make sure I didn't forget anything. I'll meet you at the car."

He nods and begins loading our bags into his car. I walk up the staircase and head towards my bedroom when I hear Jean speaking to someone on the phone in his office. I try to tiptoe by quietly so I don't distrub him, and can't help but overhear a piece of the conversation.

"Yes, Mr. White, I know there's a lot riding on this for me... No, I assure you I will win the money back and every cent will be repaid to Quantum..."

'What the hell is Quantum?'

His voice becomes quieter, and I hurry down the hall to my room, thinking that Jean knew I was standing outside the door.

As I browse through my closet and vanity, Jean walks in, not looking too excited.

"Evie, how much did you hear?"

I try to act calm, when mentally I'm about to go into a panic attack. There's a half beat of silence before I answer him.

"Nothing, really. Something about Quantum, but I assume that's something to do with the banking hierarchy."

He seems to be appraising whether I'm lying or not. After a moment, he approaches and stands like a rock in front of me.

'Is he... is Jean going to...?,' I begin to feel the fight or flight response taking over.

To my relief, Jean pulls me to his chest and hugs me tightly. I wrap my arms around his waist, resting my face on his chest. I breathe in his cologne deeply, and it helps to calm me down.

Jean releases me, and we look at each other, not entirely sure what to think. Jean interrupts the silence.

"So, excited and ready to go?"

"Aye, captain!," I titter.

"Let's get this trip going then. They have the yacht all prepared."

My head snaps up to look at him, my excitement seeping out on my face. He's obviously amused.

"Yacht?"

"Montenegro is a seaside town, so why not? And we can make stopovers at other places along the way."

"Hmm... Being spirited away by a handsome man on a yacht trip and staying at a fancy casino... Sounds loke it could be fun."

He smirks and grabs my hand, pulling me down to the waiting car. We hop in and drive for an hour until we reach the Atlantic coast. It's already lunch time, so we sit down to a meal in the dining room.

"I must admit, Jean, you know how to wine and dine a lady."

"I try; however, we haven't gotten to the best part yet. Would you object to champagne up on the deck?"

"No, not at all."

Jean grins and we finish our food. He stands and holds out his hand to me. I get up, and he tightens his grip. We climb the stairs to the top deck. Jean grabs two flutes of champagne from the bar as we go by, handing me one. He rests his free hand on my hip and we walk through the glass double doors. The view is amazing; a blue sky with vivid golden-hued clouds, gently rolling waves, and the city skyline is lovely.