Chapter 5

A/N: Mainly filler, but some relevant plot points.

*E POV*

I wake up feeling more refreshed than usual. I can't quite place my finger on why, so I decide to sit in bed and read a couple chapters of my book I started before going to bed.

As I'm reading I subconsciously move my eyes up to look at Jean's window and I get butterflies. My mind flashes back to dinner last night.

~"You... You think I'm beautiful?"

~"Anyone with eyes would."

I can't help letting a smug smirk pull at my lips. I can feel my guilt subsiding despite him still being with Valenka; nothing matters except having Jean for myself. And yet, I can't bring myself to be the one to set it in motion. There may be chemistry between us, but he IS currently dating Valenka. Unhappy as he may be, I won't ask him to break his integrity. It doesn't mean, however, that I can't nudge him in the right direction... For now, I'll admire him from afar.

I sigh with disappointment as I begin to get ready. I pick out a form-fitting black dress and a pair of heels then put on a light dusting of blush and a swipe of pink lipstick.

As I'm heading out the door, I see that Jean is already in the car, waiting with the door open. I slide in next to him, bid him good morning, and begin reading off the day's agenda to him.

"You still need to RSVP to the opera gala, there's a nice fat stack of reports coming your way today, you have a meeting with Mr. Mathis today at ten, a meeting with Dimitrios at eleven-thirty, and the rest of the day is open after finalizing the Skyfleet brokerage for Obanno."

"Thank you, Evie. Would you like to come to lunch with me today?"

I can't help but be hesitant.

"... Valenka isn't joining you?"

"No."

'A short and abrupt answer... He must be having issues with her.'

"I'd love to," I say quickly , trying to turn my face away quickly to hide how ridiculously bashful I feel.

I can still feel his eyes on me, no doubt with that smug grin still in place.

I do my best to try to ignore the shock and excitement I feel, but I'm losing the battle. I turn back to Jean, to see he's scooted much closer to me; our faces are mere inches apart. He places a hand on my waist, and I look up at him with wide eyes. He's clearly amused, but trying to hide it. He leans his head down, our lips nearly brushing, when his phone starts going off.

"Excuse me," he says nonchalantly.

I let out a deep breath as I snap my head back to the window for a distraction from his call. And the the incredibly thick sexual tension in the air.

After a minute, I barely catch the tail end of the conversation.

"Excellent. Don't let me down," he concluded.

Thankfully we pull up to the bank as he's putting his phone back in his pocket. He gets out on his side of the car, then holds his hand out. I hesitantly take it. As my fingers land in his large palm, he grasps on firmly. When I'm standing on the pavement, he gives my hand a light squeeze before letting go.

"Thank you, Jea- Le Chiffre."

"De rien, ma chère."

I flash him a smile and follow him into the building. We walk side by side until we get to the elevator. I press the button and we hop on. The ride seems longer today for some reason; probably thanks to the moment we almost had in his limo.