Chapter 8

Our work week passes along quickly. The routine remains the same as always, aside from stolen kisses here and there. I practically live at Jean's house at this point, so I'm not sure why I'm surprised when he suggests that I move in. 

I'm ecstatic, but I can't help the foreboding feeling that develops. I trust him with my life and I'm close to him, but I'm still not entirely sure It's a good idea to get so deeply involved. Despite my better judgement, my things are moved into the room across from his. I enjoy that I get to see him almost constantly. 

The weekend rolls around and Jean suggests we have a shopping trip before we leave for Montenegro. I put up opposition, but he simply won't have it. 

We arrive at Saks Fifth Avenue, and Jean drags me all over the store. 

"Casino Royale is a very formal place, so more evening gowns are needed. We'll be there for a couple days, so I would recommend three to wear to the casino and three to wear to dinner."

I nod, and we start browsing racks. 

"Why don't you pick out some dresses for me while I go look at some other things I know I need?"

He seems slightly taken aback, almost like I'm abandoning him. 

"I just want you to dress me how you want so I can be arm candy for you," I tease him. 

"Well, when you put it that way, I guess I have to concede," he says mirthfully. 

I reach up and peck his cheek. 

"I'll be in the swimsuits if you need me."

I begin wandering around trying to find where I'm going when I remember that swimwear is typically by the lingerie. As I'm walking past said department, I can't help but see a few pieces that catch my eye. Mainly a pretty little red number. 

I pick it up in my size, and continue on my way. When I get to the area I'm looking for, I spot what I want right away; a classic light blue one piece. I also find a sheer black eyelet kimono to go with it. Once I'm happy with what I've found, I make my way back to where I left Jean. As I come around the corner I see he has our security man holding a mountainous pile of evening wear for me. I appraise it as I come closer and it looks like he picked well. There's plenty of black (of course), but also green, red, and blue. 

I'm snapped out of my thoughts by Jean. 

"Make a pitstop on the way, did you?," he says suggestively, nodding down at the lingerie set I picked out. 

I smirk up at him. 

"Maybe… Why? Do you not want me to get something sexy for you?"

He stiffens and gawks at me for a brief moment.

"Point taken."

"That's what I thought," I quip with a chuckle. 

I walk to the fitting room, and I can feel his eyes on me. I take the dresses from the head of security, whose name I learn is Kratt.

"If there's anything you need Ma'am, just holler."

"Will do, and thank you."

He nods and goes back to wait by Jean as I begin trying organizing our haul. Anything I'm not interested in I put to the side. I'm left with my four favorite evening gowns, three semi formal dresses, the lingerie set, and the swimsuit. 

The first one I try on is a balck chiffon sheath silhouette with a drape of fabric pver the shoulder. The second is a gold dress with ruching around the hips. The third is a beautiful floor length, sparkly silver dress. And the fourth one (my favorite) is a white silk grecian-style frock. After I confirm my picks, I slip on the lingerie set.

I hear a knock on the door. 

"Everything okay, Evie?"

"Yes, everything is good. I'm almost done."

"I don't get to have a peek at my gorgeous girl while she plays dress up?"

"No, sir. You get to be surprised, and I don't think you'll be disappointed," I tease as I twirl in front of the mirror to admire how shapely my figure looks in the nightgown. 

I also notice that there are lace cutouts under the breasts that show just enough skin to make it sexy. I smile smugly to myself, remembering the restraint I could see in Jean's eyes as he helped me into my nightie the other evening after we got home from the opera. 

I slip back into my regular clothes and come out of the dressing room with my haul in hand. Kratt jogs up to me and insists on carrying them for me. I suddenly noticed that Jean isn't anywhere to be found. 

"Where did Jea- Le Chiffre he go?"

"He said he wanted to pick out a surprise for you that he knew you would refuse."

I roll my eyes. 

"Of course he did."

We wander around section by section until we spot him coming away from the jewelry. I notice, however, that he isn't carrying anything. 

"Didn't find anything you liked?"

"No, not anything you would like either."

"Good," I say, as he gives me a serious look.

We walk up to the checkout, and the girl begins scanning everything I picked. 

"$4,590.87," she says finally. 

I nearly keel over in shame, but Jean hands her his credit card without hesitation. I try to hide that I feel guilty but I must be doing a terrible job based on the fact Jean looks like he's trying to keep back a laugh. 

The lady bags everything up and Kratt grabs the tightly stuffed bundles. Jean takes my hand and we head back towards the car. 

"Why do you always refuse when I want to spoil you? Don't you like getting gifts and pretty things?"

I turn to him with a leveled look.

"It's not that I don't appreciate it. I'm just not used to being doted on constantly. I'm sorry if your feelings are hurt," I explain, trying to be gracious. 

He observes me closely, but doesn't say anything. He disconnects our hands and places his on my hip as we walk, giving it a subtle clutch. 

He lowers his lips to my ear, "My sweet girl," he whispers. 

I blush as we continue on, a warmth spreading through my body.

We reach the car and Kratt begins loading our bags into the trunk. I notice Jean is staring ahead at something before dunking into the back seat. I look in the same direction and see that there's a rather suspicious looking man watching us. I turn to look back at Jean; he has anxiety and fear written plain as day on his face. I look from him back to the strange man; I give him a curt nod and dunk into the car, giving Jean a light tug on his hand. He maneuvers himself into the car with lightning fast speed.

"Floor it," he barks to Anders, while Kratt follows behind us in his car. 

We zig and zag through the city streets like we're on a race course, making sure that the mystery man can't follow us home. 

"Jean… what's going on?"

He looks at me, pensive. 

"Don't worry your pretty little head about it, darling. We're fine."

I give a timorous smile, but I remain unconvinced. Jean still looks very panicked and solemn. I reach across and put my hand on his knee, giving it a light pat. I snuggle up to his side and lay my head on his shoulder, and he wraps an arm around me tightly. For the moment, everything is right; even though I have an intense feeling it couldn't be farther from the truth.

*Reference pictures for her dresses are at the top of the page (all are included); in case your curious as to what they're inspired by 😁)