Lyric The Servant

The stale scent of porridge reached her nose before the scent of sweating bodies did. At least that meant the porridge was still warm. It was a sad day when the smell of those around you reached your nose before the scent of the food you were meant to eat did. The overwhelming smell of sweat slammed into her face before she had prepared herself, having been lost in her own world again. She entered the room and carefully ducked beneath a spinning baker, raising a tray of hot breads that had just come from the oven. The heat grazed the top of her hair as she moved away from the working man, stepping past another who was chopping herbs for the master's breakfast. Her small hand grasped a bowl as she moved past a few more bodies, sweating and working on the breakfast of those above her station, allowing her to slip past quietly. Her other hand scooped a few blueberries from a bowl as she passed, turning the corner to find various cups, bowls, and plates waiting for her to fill them and deliver them to the dining table.

Lyric was a small girl. Light on her feet but not so light as to be taken away on the strongest of winds. Her raven hair fell around her face, tickling at the dirty skin as she passed through. Careful not to drip any porridge on the plates below her, she tipped the wooden bowl to her lips and let the viscous food slide past her lips, landing on her tongue with a thump. She chewed reluctantly, feeling the sweetness of a blueberry pop through the tasteless muck. It was a delight to have a bit of fresh sweetness amidst the lumps of warm slime. As the last few bits of porridge slid down her throat, Lyric began filling the plates in front of her. "Aye, late and thieving. Not a good look on a pretty little thing such as you." The deep voice broke through the constant noise of the kitchens and fell heavily on her ears, just as heavily as the hand that landed on her shoulder.

Val was a big man, a guard in the master's company, rough and large. His eyes were as dark as Lyric's hair but his smile always seemed to brighten it up just a bit. The scars that decorated his face only added to the perceived hardness of the man. "Listen, Little Songbird, just because you are a favorite amongst the women of the stead, does not mean you may steal from them."

"A few blueberries go missing, they may afford more." Her words came out crisp, shocking even her as her eyes met with Val's.

A brash laugh bellowed from deep inside his stomach, shaking the tables around him. "That they can, Little One, that they can. However, it will be you that runs into the market to fetch them as it is you who seems to misplace them daily." A small pouch of coin dropped on the table beside her hand. "Leave this to Bellona. There is also a request for some honey breads so, please fetch flour and honey as well."

"Anything else you need?" She asked sarcastically, knowing full well that this man was not the one requesting honey breads and fresh berries.

"Just make it back in time for midday offerings please."

"Will they not need my help this morning preparing for the meals?" She asked quizzically.

"You've the morning to yourself in the markets, girl, don't waste the freedom." The man stepped closer to her, his bulky frame casting a shadow over her so large that she became swallowed by the darkness. His rough hand grasped her elbow and slid lightly down to her softer, smaller hand, and dropped another small pouch of coin there. "A treat for yourself, I should think. A pretty girl like you ought to have a treat now and then." And there it was. Lyric had only been in this homestead for a few years, having arrived when she was only twelve but since her arrival, she had always known Val liked her. This wasn't as unusual as you would generally like to believe. Val was a man of stature, a guard was a very coveted position in any court, and they often looked to those beneath them for marriage material. Lyric knew she was not ready yet but she had to admit that she could do worse than Val. He had a modest home with a couple of servants himself. He had a couple of children already but they had grown and moved on, his daughters married off quite early and were on their way to living happy lives.

"Thank you, sir, but I shouldn't take your money." Her hand went back towards his, holding out the leather pouch.

"No no. Take it. I've got you covered for the morning, go enjoy yourself in the markets. Get a treat." He stepped back away from her and smiled. "Get goin." He said before turning on his heel and heading back towards the door of the kitchens.

Bellona shuffled over, her shoulders hunched, jealousy written in every line on her face. "Well, you heard him. Get goin." The anger and jealousy was dripping from her words like rain from the clouds. Not wanting to face this uncomfortable silence any longer, Lyric stuck the two pouches of coin into the pocket of her smock and left the homestead.

The morning was crisp, the heat not quite setting in yet, as the sun was still fairly low in the sky. She had a bit of a walk but she figured she would arrive at the market and merchant stalls just as they opened. She would have her pick of the freshest berries and the purest flour. Not to mention the honey. She thought she may pick up a bit of honey for herself while she was there, surely Val had given only enough for a small treat like a bit of honey. With the thought already in her mind, Lyric fished out the smaller of the two pouches and opened it, staring at the coin inside. She felt the gasp escape her lips more than she heard it. Val had given her more than enough for some honey. He had given her enough to buy a couple of dresses should she want them. Not just peasant dresses either, but lavish dresses that her mistress would wear. The man was a fool, a damned fool.

Shaking her head, she continued her walk along the road. How could he give her so much? Why would he? She knew that he had liked her but that much? A feeling of dread started somewhere in her throat and settled in her stomach, making it twist and gurgle. What if it was a sign of his intentions? What if he was to propose? Would that be such an awful thing?

Lyric bounced over a fallen branch on the path and considered moving it but, after sizing it up, decided it was much too large for her. Val was a kind man. Sure, he had a reputation for being a bit wild in his bed but, he also was gentle towards all women. His first wife passed away some years ago after attempting to bring their fourth child into the world. Even as his wife slipped away, he was kind to the midwives and other servants helping with the situation. He had never risen his voice to a female that she knew of, even as they were being arrested for theft or other crimes. He liked to hunt and bring in the foods from market himself. He only left it to his servants when he had to be away for a spell. He chopped the wood for his fire as well. He was a hard-working man. Perhaps she could cozy up to the idea of marrying him.

Her station would improve. Knowing him, he wouldn't want her to work, as his wage could support many people alone. She could settle into a comfortable life. Sharing drinks and gossip with the other ladies, eating fine meats and all the fresh berries she could pick. She could learn to sew and create her own furnishings to her house. House. She would have a house. She would have servants to instruct and then she could have children. She could teach them a great many things. Oh it would be quite wonderful!

The smile fell from her lips as soon as her eyes looked into the market area. Not a single shop was open, and people were lining the street, walking slowly into the church.