24 | The Full Circle

Start from the beginning

There's more applause, and Kian only focused on the encouraging ones, not the ones that made their love unwelcomed in public. It would probably be them against the world, and that's nothing less than epic.

All the voices faded in the background as Enzo began the choppy drum sequence. Kian was giddy with excitement and pride when Enzo finally picked up the beat, and a deep, thunderous rumble vibrated throughout the café. Then he brought in the verse locking gazes with Kian. He realized Enzo was singing that for him, only him. They might be in front of a crowd of a hundred or so people, but they were completely alone when he delivered the lines of the song.

Remember when you taught me fate

Said it'd all be worth the wait

Like that night in the back of the cab

When your fingers walked in my hand

Next day, nothin' on my phone

But I can still smell you on my clothes

Always hoping things would change

But we went right back to your games

With his eyes closed, lips right over the mic, and magical fingers playing the drums, Enzo drowned the entire room with his hypnotizing, gravel-stained timbre.

Watching Enzo perform on stage was an indescribable joy that Kian felt every single time. It was somehow being pulled into his world uninvited, and Kian didn't even mind getting locked away forever for trespassing because it had become his favorite thing now.

The next few minutes were Enzo, capturing the audience with his charm and oh-so-mesmerizing music track. It mostly had drum beats, but every time he sang a line or two, Kian's heart fluttered, wild and untamed.

And even if I run away

Give my heart a holiday

Still strawberries and cigarettes always taste like you

You always leave me wanting more

I can't shake my hunger for

Strawberries and cigarettes always taste like you

Yeah, they always taste like you

You

Long nights, daydreams

With that sugar and smoke rings

Always taste like you

By the time he finished the track, Kian was in tears. Happy tears, again. Shaken to the point of tingling, he found himself standing at the foot of the stage where Enzo was perched on a stool behind his drums, his tongue dry and his heart thumping loudly against his chest.

His soul-deep voice, accompanied by his poetic smile directed towards Kian and Kian alone as he ended the track with an ending clash on the cymbal, had warmth unfurling in Kian's heart.

And staring at his midnight charcoal eyes, Kian finally accepted that not even time or distance could set them apart. Like stars in the constellation, they were always part of the same cosmos, fated to be bound together in a glittery combination.

As if he could read Kian's mind, Enzo leaped off his stool and crushed himself against Kian's chest, the drumsticks hard at the back of his neck, and kissed him deeply, in public, in front of everyone. That's how Enzo loved, wild and without a care in the world. And maybe that's why Kian was so deep in love with the boy. He tangled his hand in Kian's hair at the nape, pulling away from the kiss and resting his forehead against Kian.