Chapter 17: A Christmas Tradition

Comenzar desde el principio

"Yup! Me and you, were basically siblings." Michael joked, "and your mom said to wake you up anyway." Toast said as they both followed me in the bathroom. I looked at them oddly then proceeded to brush my teeth. In the mirror I can see them fixing small flaws that had to due with hair or clothes.

"Why are you so tired anyway? You told me you were going to bed at 9 last night." Michael suspected, he began to eye me down slowly awaiting an answer.

My eyes widened and the toothbrush fell out of my hand in shock, landing in the sink along with the running water. I shook my head and quickly returned it into my hand, "uh, you know.." I talked through a full mouth of toothpaste and a buzzing toothbrush. I trailed off as they looked at me awkwardly waiting for me to continue. I rinsed my mouth out with water a few times and looked up dashingly to see them staring right back at me with their eyebrows slightly furrowed.

I almost laughed at how serious they looked, "Well..?" Toast stated in an inpatient tone. I could hear the clacking of his shoe against the tiles of my bathroom floor, they sped up as I took longer. Geez, chill out.

I rinsed off my face In a sivering cold water which officially woke me up. I turned off the faucet and wiped my facial features with the towel hanging next to my door. I saw them staring me down in my peripheral vision.

Hoping to break the border that was forming I gave them a very quick view of my gaze and finally answered, "Ok!" I said cutting the tension directly in half.

"I was texting Rae was all." I admitted, and their serious faces immediately morphed into cheeky smiles. Toast let out a brief and giddy giggle before covering his mouth.

"Until..?" Michael lead on while pursing his lips, most likely holding back a laugh.

I playfully rolled my eyes and exited the bathroom, I rubbed my damp hands against the side of my T-Shirt before answering their question. My eyebrows furrowed in thought as I tried to recollect when I happened to stop texting her, "4?" I said still not too sure.

"Damn, 4?..!" Michael exclaimed in disbelief before Toast cut in, "y'all were texting for that long and didn't call at all?" Toast questioned, before leaning against my bed frame and crossing his arms over his chest curiously. I glanced between both of them and they had shared the same facial expressions.

"No, I mean, in a way it was almost like she was here with me. We were talking and talking while time was going by and sooner than I knew it was 4 o'clock." I said while taking a seat unto my bed. "We were just talking about tomorrow, y'know, cuz she's coming over, and Christmas. I think she's gonna help me put up some, 'santee claus' decorations." I stated with a smile as my hands that were presenting air quotes fell down to my waist. I released a small chuckle finding humor in my words.

-
Teenagers Michael and Toast glanced at each other with a smile after hearing that from Thomas, but the two of them couldn't help but feel a pinch of jealousy sting their heart. They understood Thomas had never liked a girl before, not this much anyway, and they just thought he was almost pushing them away like if they were invisible pieces of rubbish. Little did Thomas know, when Michael and Toast found out he chose Rae over them it just..hurt. They tried to shove the thought away and remind themselves it wasn't an issue because Thomas was his own person and could do what he wants, but the memory would creep up and tap on their shoulders'. Then they would repeat it again, it's not a big deal. It doesn't matter.

But it does.

To them, atleast.

Of course they didn't show it, what kind of friend would they be to Thomas if they performed an act of anger only because he chose her over them one time?