21 | that was overdue

Start from the beginning

I smiled. "Riddles."

He gave me that devastating smile. "Exam results are coming out in half an hour. It's tradition for your cadre to go together. Besides, Shannon made breakfast."

I couldn't refuse food. "Fine. Any rumors I should be worried about?"

We walked down the flights of stairs together, careful to keep our voices low. "No. Though some people think we broke up."

"That's pretty important," I chewed my bottom lip. "Why do they think that?"

Avery glanced over. "People saw you crying in the library. They think you were crying because I broke up with you."

I ran a hand down my face in exasperation. Of course they automatically assumed that the guy broke it off with the girl. "Didn't you bridal-style carry me back after I fell asleep in the library?"

"Apparently, it was chivalry on my part since I am a gentleman," Avery shrugged with a slight smirk. "My reputation is so impressive, I'm impressed by it sometimes."

I gave him a dry look. "Has anyone added humility in that reputation of yours?"

"No but I'd like Vesper Du Sang to be a part of it," Avery smiled wryly.

I rolled my eyes but my lips curved upwards. "I'm guessing the rumors are mainly because we haven't displayed much affection lately. We barely even talk to each other."

"That is the main reason," he confirmed as he guided me with a hand on the small on my back. "You also avoid talking to people in general. Now everyone thinks you're in a depressive state because of me." Avery's silver eyes locked to mine meanfully. "Sometimes, I wonder if the rumors have some truth to them."

I pursed my lips as we reached the bottom floor. "We need to fix that. What do they know for sure?"

"They don't know anything for sure, especially on whether we actually broke up," Avery said, knowing I meant the blue bloods. "But there's some doubt."

"I'm guessing Shannon filled you in on all of this?"

"Yeah," Avery grimaced but quickly schooled himself to appear charming as we approached all the blue bloods gathering by the breakfast bar. "Have some toast, love."

I tried to hide my own grimace. "Thanks. My... favorite."

He coughed to stop his laughter, taking a seat next to me. "I'll get you black coffee."

"You better," I gritted through my teeth. "You know I hate toast."

Avery gave me a lopsided grin. "Why do you think I offered it?"

"So, Vesper," Satin said, eying Avery's retreating figure like prey. "You must be excited for the exam rankings."

I answered only after gratefully accepting the cup of coffee from Avery. He took a seat next to me, drinking his own, while resting his other arm around my chair. His thumb drew reassuring circles on my shoulder. "Sure. I heard it's a big deal here."

"It is," Helen interrupted before Satin could start insulting me. "I'm sure you'll be fine, Vesper."

She has been strangely cordial with me. I gave her a tight smile in a response.

Kalina leaned back in her chair, running a hand through Mason's hair. They were always on and off. It changed so quuckly even I couldn't keep up. "You know, Vesper, there's a party tonight."

"For rankings?" I asked, trying to sound interested.

"For you, princess," Mason grinned at me, earning a scowl from Kalina.