21 | that was overdue

Start from the beginning

"He died." Avery's words were so soft but rang so loud.

"And I gained a stepmother, stepsister, and stepbrother," I smiled wryly. "My father changed completely. He married my stepmother Amber Jontas to shut her up for a lifetime. Gabriella and Silas, however, never got the Du Sang name. They won't earn a cent of the fortune."

Avery wrapped the blanket tighter around me. "Where is Silas now?"

"He's older than Alexander actually. Across the country, researching for his doctorate degree." My tone turned frosty. "I hate him."

"But you loved Ella."

I turned to face him. Tentatively, Avery reached over to wipe the remaining tears with his thumb. I felt the my stomach lurch as he offered me that reassuring, half-grin.

I leaned into him, my head resting on his shoulder. He stiffened for a moment before relaxing, stroking my hair. It felt strangely intimate, more intimate than sleeping on the same bed with him even if we never spoke or touched each other. Now, I couldn't help but remember that kiss between us.

Did it mean anything to him? Or was I just another girl he kissed to forget that girl he loved?

Did that kiss mean anything to me?

Instead of saying all the things unsaid between us, I closed my eyes and let myself drift to sleep in his warmth.

As the week went by, the distance between Avery and I widened. Despite Blake causing a huge commotion by showering Helen with gifts and enough flowers to be called harmful, people noticed the coldness between us.

I couldn't even look at Avery in the eye.

Maybe it was because of the kiss or maybe it was because of Helen's words or maybe it was Erik's looming but quiet presence, but either way, I did not share his bed for the next two days. Nor did I sleep well. I don't remember the last time we had a real conversation, unless it was an act to keep up during meals.

I knew Avery noticed the chilliness but like me, he kept quiet. He needed the distance as well. Already, there were too many complications between us. If any feelings were involved...

I would never let that happen.

I couldn't.

When the news of me becoming an official blue blood spread, the attention on me doubled overnight. My phone blew up. Girls of all cadres came up to me, complimenting or sneering at me. Guys didn't openly stare at me, in fear of Avery, but I could hear them talking about me in violating ways.

Every single action I did was noticed. This was the price of being a blue blood. It didn't just come with jealousy, admiration, and gossip.

It also came with fear.

Friday morning, someone knocked. My dorm room had been customized days ago, where Pierre brought people in to furnish and move things in. Unlike Avery's silver and royal blue theme, I had shades of dark gray.

"Come in," I sighed, knowing I couldn't avoid him forever.

Avery strode inside, glancing around the room, as I set down the book I was reading.

"You can't hide in here forever," Avery commented, wryly. As expected, he walked towards the corner of the room that I made my library. "Although you do have an impressive book collection."

I joined him, grabbing the several maps that littered the place. "We all collect something. I collect stories. You, on the other hand..."

He lifted an eyebrow, placing a first edition Sherlock Holmes on the shelf. "What do I collect?"