January 1986

Waiting in the library for Eddie had not been my idea of a fun time, especially knowing that Kaminsky's classes had been beginning to go through thermodynamics and energy transfer in chemical reactions. That was all that Marnie had been going over with her normal groups and she had complained enough about it for it to begin to stick in my own head. Spreading out all of the notes that I had on the topic and getting out a few different colored pens, I checked the clock on the wall. 3:03. Letting out a sigh, I impatiently tapped my pen against the table, checking the door every few seconds. Around 3:07, he finally rolled in.

"Is being chronically late just one of your personality traits?" Fixing him with a hard look, I stopped hitting the pen against the table, putting it down as I crossed my arms.

" No. I had to make sure that I had everything that I needed for this." As I watched him sit down, I leaned in close to him, holding out a pen for him. "Thanks."

"No problem. Just an FYI, Gareth definitely heard us on Monday. He was incredibly insistent that someone was in my room," I spoke in a low whisper as he took the pen from my hand.

"I know."

" What do you mean you know? Did he say anything about it to you?" There was an edge of concern in my voice. It was always possible that he would put two and two together; the only issue with the idea that he did was that he hadn't said anything else about it since going through my room on Monday. I would think that if he had figured it out, Gareth would have been more confrontational about it, especially if he knew that it was Eddie.

"He brought it up when I was driving him to our show on Tuesday."

" What?"

"Relax. He doesn't know it was me. He's just suspicious that there was some mystery guy in your room but clearly didn't find anything unusual or see anyone. " He leaned in to pat my hand, watching as I pulled it away, closing my eyes and rubbing my temples. I was quiet for a moment, thinking about this situation. Finally looking back at him, I gave him a hard look.

"We can't ever do that again. Ever. " Watching him nod in response, I cleared my throat. "Anyway, you signed up for a slot with me until 4:30. You have me until then. So, I grabbed all of the materials that I still had from when I was taking Kamisky's cla-" I began to sift through the papers and notes that I had brought, flipping through one of my old chemistry notebooks until Eddie cut me off.

"We aren't going to need any of that."

With a sigh, my brows immediately furrowed. "I thought that your class was starting thermodynamics and energy transfer. That's all that Marnie has been talking about with her tutoring groups."

"We are."

"Then aren't we going to need to go over that?"

"Nope." After saying that, I watched as he began to unzip his backpack. Taking out the notebook that I had gotten him for Christmas, I realized why he had actually signed up for a tutoring slot with me.

"Eddie, I need to actually tutor you. That's what these sessions are for."

"I thought that so long as I signed up for a slot, you just had to be here?"

Shaking my head, I gave a small grimace. "I'm supposed to fill out a time table at the end of each session, write about who the student was, what time slot they signed up for, what time they actually came into the library, what class period it's for, what teacher the student has, what topics we discussed during the session, how we ended up actually going through the information, whether it be through a review game, note taking activity, working on homework, et cetera, sign out time, and some sort of proof of student work. And the librarian on duty has to sign off on it at the help desk."