December 1985

After deciding to hang out with Eddie on Saturday, the week felt like it had dragged on even longer than before. Getting through the two days had felt almost like a death crawl; seeing Eddie in homeroom and in passing hadn't been enough for me. Not that I would ever admit that to him. This was supposed to be casual, after all. All that this is is just a relationship where two people who are absolutely not into each other and definitely dislike each other just want to kiss each other when they aren't busy. No strings or emotions attached. Simple enough.

Sighing as the end of Friday's tutoring session finally came to a close, I smiled at the sophomore group in front of me. All of them had been able to get through the review game that I had crafted for this session. "You know, I'm incredibly proud of you guys," I started as they were packing up their books. "I think that you guys are going to kill it on Monday. Ms. Ratcliff won't know what hit her," I encouraged them, beginning to put my notes in the bag. That woman had been as old as sin and twice as mean as the years had gone on. Knowing her, her test was going to still be tough as nails. Still, I'd rather have tutor kids for her tests than have to think about tutoring for Kaminsky's chem finals all over again.

"Hey," one of the kids said my name, pausing as he had finished packing up.

"What's up Greg?"

"Listen, we're just very thankful that you've spent so much time helping us out as a team. We just... we got you a little gift since this is the last session before break." As he was talking, one of the girls in the group, Tracy, pulled out a box.

"Thanks, guys," I gave a soft smile, opening up the box. Inside of the box was a green binder that had been personalized with 'Class of 1986' and a tiger on it. Looking at it, there was a note scrawled on the inside page, along with my name.

For the best tutor that Hawkins High has. Thank you for making Ms. Ratcliff's class so much easier to understand. We'll miss seeing you on Fridays once you graduate in April. -Tracy, Greg, Jen, Beth, and Johnny

With a smile, I looked up from the note. "You guys are so adorable. I'm almost sad that I can't say the same time next week. Almost. How about the same time next semester instead?" Getting a small laugh from the group, I watched as they began to head out together. Putting the binder in my bookbag, I began to head over to my locker so that I could switch out the study materials with the books that I'll need for the weekend.

The first thing that I did on Saturday was jolt out of bed and check the time. 7:42 AM. Groaning, I put my pillow over my face. It was going to be a while until the Family Video was even open. Rolling over onto my side after trying to rest my eyes again, I sighed. I didn't like that I had been anxious for tonight. It wasn't like it was going to be a real date or anything like that. It was just smoking with Eddie at his trailer again. We were only going to smoke and watch some movies so that I could forget about all of the stress of final projects and exams this coming week. Nothing else. Slowly standing up, I stretched.

Trying to think of what I could do to kill time, an idea popped into my head. Cookies! I could make some Christmas cookies! It was the perfect thing to do; I would be able to get some of my anxiety out by baking, the house would smell amazing, and if I was smoking later on tonight, there was the chance that Eddie and I would get hungry and we could have this as a snack.

Going downstairs, I went straight to the kitchen and began to get the ingredients out for snickerdoodles. Waiting for the oven to preheat, I began humming to myself, grabbing the mixing bowls and measuring cups. Hearing me rustle around in the kitchen, my dad decided to pop his head in from the living room.