Summer 1985

Thursday night couldn't come around quickly enough. The work days felt so long as I had anticipated the date. All I could think about was what I was gonna wear, where we were going to go, and how much lip gloss I was gonna need. Should I wear a dress or just shorts? What if he wanted to kiss me? What if he wanted to go all of the way with me? Would he call me afterward? What if he decides he wants to be my boyfriend? What if...

"Hey! Ground control to Major Tom!" I heard the snapping of fingers, causing me to focus back on work. Jenny looked at me, waving her hand in front of my face. "Thought I lost you there kiddo."

"Sorry Jen," I mumbled, remembering the task at hand. All I had to do was fix the new album display and switch out last week's previous spots. She had literally given me the easiest task that she could possibly give and I was still unable to do that without being distracted by the idea of tonight's date.

"That bad, huh?" she asked, beginning to ring up a customer picking up a couple of jazz records, thanking her as they left.

"It's a date, Jenny. I didn't know that he even knew I existed," I said excitedly, walking over to the display with the new tapes and records.

"Uh-huh. And you said it's tonight?"

"Bingo. I need to figure out a look that tells him that I'm serious about this..."

"Hair and makeup done, short skirt. Trust me."

Right as I clocked out of my shift, I rushed straight to my car, barely giving a passing glance to anyone or any of the stores. I had to get home and be able to take as much time as I could to get ready for this date.

Parking right out front, I bolted from the car. There was only so much time before Billy could have decided to come. Damn me for not having an outfit set out after work. Rushing in through the garage, I tossed my keys on the counter, throwing my work shoes right by the door.

"Hi, mom! Hi dad! Hi Gare!" I shouted quickly as I ran up the stairs, bolting into my bedroom. Muttering to myself that there wasn't much time, I scoured my closet for the best outfit that I could find. Settling on a light blue denim jacket, colorful patterned top, and short black rah-rah skirt, I smiled. Rummaging through my accessories, I finally settled on a pair of earrings that would match very nicely with a necklace that I had picked up earlier in the week. Putting my outfit on, I looked in the mirror.

"Perfect."

Grabbing the shoes that I was going to wear, I bolted to the bathroom, setting up all of the tools that I would need to do my hair. As they were beginning to warm up, I began to get out my makeup tools. I decided on a pink and orange eyeshadow look, blending it out before adding my eyeliner. Finishing up with bright pink lipstick and blush, I smiled. Billy wasn't going to know what hit him when he saw me.

As I began to style my hair, I heard a knock on the bathroom door. Frustrated, I paused. "What?"

"Are you gonna be long?"

"As long as I need to be, Gare. I have a date coming by to pick me up," I said, adjusting my hair as I stared at myself in the mirror.

"Seriously? You have a date?"

I poked my head out of the bathroom door, giving him a look. "Yes. And he's supposed to be by at any minute. Go use the downstairs bathroom if it's that much of an emergency to you."

"Does he know it's gonna be a date?"

"Gareth, go away!" I slammed the door shut, attempting to get my hair the way I wanted it. When it finally cooperated, I sprayed it with hairspray. Taking a deep breath, I walked out of the bathroom, scampering to my room to spray myself with enough perfume to, in theory, seduce Billy.