Chapter 23: Good in Evil; Evil in Good

Start bij het begin

He's always been a rational and intuitive person, which gives him a few of his edges. He could predict people's actions just by knowing a little about them. It's a skill or talent he honed while working with Gavin. That's why most of the plans involving Simeon are a success.

"Because you'll die anyway. With everything you know, either Valhalla or The Evil Eye will kill you. So might as well do something good...for all the eyes you stared at as they beg for your help. Repentance. " Tila natigilan ako sa sinabi niya. Repentance. It didn't even cross my mind. Forgiveness. It's something I don't deserve. The same with repentance. How would I repent of things I don't regret?

"Is that why you're doing this? For all the people you've killed?" Balik kong tanong sa kanya.

"No. It's for all those times I chose to do that to the wrong people. I would still kill people, that's for sure. War won't end without shedding blood. The only difference now is that more innocent people will benefit from the dirty things that I will do."

"Fair enough. Let me have my father's head. That's all I need." I said, answering him with the same bargain I asked with Allas. I find it funny how they both told me the same thing, that I'd die either way. And how I ended up asking for my father's head.

That's all I wanted after all. I'd rather work with people I used to work with. The fact that Simeon was able to penetrate the enemy's base means that Valhalla is already at the end of the rope. Unless they are already aware of it and it's Simeon who's being played at.

That brought us to where we are now. I still don't know exactly their plan on how they'll bring down Valhalla knowing that we only have a week. Ngunit hindi rin naman mababakas ang pagkabahala kay Simeon. It's as if everything is still going according to his plan.

Ilang minuto rin lang ang lumipas ay nagising na si Allie. She looked like she had just had a nightmare. But bad for her, the nightmare starts when she wakes up.

Simeon gave her water, but she declined it. And once again, Simeon was right. He knew Allie would be like this.

I grabbed the water from him and gave it to Allie. She just looked at me. Right, the last time we had a conversation, I made her pull the trigger of a gun. Ngunit mas ikinagulat ko ang tanggapin niya ang tubig mula sa akin. She gulped it down as if she hadn't tasted water for years.

Her hands are still shaking. I reached out my hands to get the cup from her, but instead she grabbed my hands and cried.

It was a simple grab on my hand, and it made my knees become so weak that I kneeled in front of her. My other hand hesitantly moved and gave her a pat on the head. That's when my heart started pounding. So loud that I can't even control it. Maybe I was just as shocked as she was. But why? I've been seeing a lot of things like this since I became aware of the world.

I saw Simeon from my peripheral vision. He stood up and went outside the treehouse samantalang naiwan kami ni Allie. Nang makakalma siya ay binitawan na rin niya ang aking kamay at kasabay noon ay ang unti-unting pagbalik sa normal ng tibok ng puso ko. I've read about Alexandia's Disease, ngunit hindi naman ito nakakahawa o nagbibigay ng kahit anong epekto sa ibang tao. If only Amber were here, she'd probably have known right away what was causing this.

Ayaw kong maging pabigat sa plano ng iba. This will get me killed first before I can even lay a finger on my father.

"Hindi ko maintindihan ang nangyayari maging iyong mga nakita ko." She said. Fear is more evident on her face right now than that night.

"Well, you have to pull yourself together, Allie. Whether you like it or not, you're in the midst of a war. " Sabat ni Simeon. Sumandal siya sa tabi ng pintuan habang naka-krus ang mga bisig. Mas lalo lamang ikinagulo ng isipan ni Allie ang sagot ni Simeon na kaagad din naman niyang nilinaw.

"To summarize what you've seen, nais ng mga taong iyon ang gumawa ng sariling sanlibutan na malalagpasan ang abilidad ng mga taong naninirahan sa mundo ngayon. Pangunahing layunin nila ay bumuo ng mga tao na ituturing silang Dyos. Iyong sila lamang ang susundin. Kaakibat niyon ay ang paglaban sa kamatayan. They're trying to defy death. Nanotechnology, cloning, and even making good use of the benefits of your illness, if that's what you call it. They'll spend less on slowing death if it comes naturally. In your case, you just stopped growing old once you reached a certain age. There's more to you than just those purple eyes. " He said. Ngunit hindi sapat ang bagay na iyon para maliwanagan si Allie.

How else can we make her understand if all this time she's been living in a medieval era?

"Well, we don't have much time to explain to you. You have to absorb everything like a sponge. It'll be hard on you, but it'll be harder on everyone else. You shouldn't befriend ignorance." Simeon said, annoyed.

"You don't have to know every single detail. You just have to get out of here and make sure that they won't get you. You're a prisoner here, so I don't see much difference in making you a prisoner somewhere else until we finally bring down Valhalla." Simeon suggested. In the situation we are in, that's the best that we can do. She's not all that they need. But it'll hurt them to lose one of the key elements of their plan.

"Kung ganoon ay paano ang mga taong kasama ko sa simbahan? Maiipangako mo ba sa akin ang kanilang kaligtasan?" She looked into Simeon's eyes, but he couldn't look back. I knew it. Their plan includes only Allie. The rest are collateral damage.

"I don't think you're in the position to demand anything when we are trying to save your life and the lives of many." Pagmamatigas ni Simeon.

"At hindi kasali sa karamihan ang mga taong nakasalamuha ko sa simbahan, ganoon ba?" That silenced Simeon. If he can't save those people, it means he has a plan for them. A bait.

"Maaaring may mas mlawanak na mundo kaysa sa nakagisnan ko, ngunit para sa akin, ito na ang mundo. Kaya't kung ang mga taong nasa mundo ko ay hindi mo kayang iligtas, kung ganoon sana'y maunawaan mo kung bakit hindi ko rin maiipangako ang kaligtasan ng mga taong nais mong protektahan."

It excites me to know how Simeon would compromise given the situation. If only Allie were exposed early to this kind of world just like us, she could be as dangerous as Simeon, if not even more.

"Kapag hindi ka sumunod sa lahat ng plano namin, consider everyone you know dead." Simeon gave up. I thought it would still go a long way. Meanwhile, relief could be seen on Allie's face.

"You'll be leaving tomorrow. Kailangan nyong pumunta sa kung saan kayo kumukuha ng gatas at keso. Once it starts raining. That's when you go there. Wear a coat, cloak or whatever that could cover your whole body. And don't mess up the timing. It's all about the rain." He said. Hindi na nakapagtanong pang muli si Allie dahil sa kaagad na pag-alis ni Simeon.

I looked at the sky and saw how bright it was. There's not even a sign that it will rain tomorrow. Well, I guess if people could pretend to be God, how easy would it be to make it rain?

Tomorrow will be our first bold move.