Chapter 18: The first move

I was in Amber's room as I watch her pack her things.

Matagal ko na ding pinag-iisipan kung paano siya paaalisin. I wouldn't deny the fact that she has been a great help all this time. But it just adds to the reason I want her out. She's not supposed to be here. She's a piece of extra baggage; collateral.

This place changed me. I admit that. Help? I still haven't grasped the idea.

Care. That must be the right term. I cared. I thought about the others. And that is why I want to push Amber away before I proceed with my plans. She has nothing to do with this and surely, knowing her, she'll get in my way to stop me or to help me because that's how she is.

I'm aware of my indifference. Being always the second-best, one thing I am good at is not having a conscience. Not having a second thought about pulling the trigger or leaving someone. That split second when you doubt could cost a life. My life in those cases. It's always a matter of time.

But now that changes in me are being clear, I have to make my move, bago pa ako maubusan ng panahon. My only goal right now is to confirm the death of my father. He needs to pay for the life he took. An eye for an eye. And after that...

Bago pa man ako makapagsalita ay nauna na si Amber.

"I'm leaving." Pagbasag niya sa katahimikang pumapagitna sa amin. I certainly didn't expect that. She's the type of person who'll stay unless she got something up her sleeve. The same reason I can't just get rid of her that easily because she'll know I got plans too.

"You're scheming something Amber." Napatigil siya sa pag-eempake. She balled her hand into a fist and went near me. I openly accepted her punch.

"That was the last string. I didn't know you're this dense." Bakas sa mukha niya ang inis. But I still don't get it.

"You need to use words, Amber. You..."

"I like you! And I won't think twice about putting my life in danger because I like you." She cut me off. And her words made me lose mine. It's a confession. Another first for me.

"For so many years, all I do is watch you from afar. Help in any way I can. Save you! I've been with you all these years. I took all the courage to get closer because I wanted you to recognize this feeling. I cried for you and heck, I'm willing to die for you! But you... you cried to her." She almost whispered the last words.

She saw it.

"You're never vulnerable. Except for that day. Except in front of her. And if that is not a good reason to leave, then I don't know what is." She left me in the room after that, still confused about what had just happened.

I kept on thinking about what she said. Since when did we become this close? I could still remember the first day I saw her.

Hikahos siyang nagtatakbo palapit sa amin. Mababakas sa mukha niya ang pagkabigla at pag-aalala. That they, the transaction, didn't go well. It was a trap. Most of Simeon's men are injured. Bago pa lamang kami sa kalakaran kaya't hindi ko siya masisisi kung bakit siya tumawag ng doctor. He must be afraid to see more death.

Kaagad na tinulungan ni Amber ang mga malalala ang kalagayan. They beat me to a pulp. I couldn't even feel my legs and arms and breathing have been difficult, but compared to them, I guess I'm still okay, while some were shot and stabbed.

Ipinikit ko ang aking mga mata at nakinig sa mga daing nila. We can't even make it to our building. Baka bago kami makarating doon ay kalahati na sa amin ang maiiwan dito.

Oras ang lumipas at ang mga hinanaing ay unti-unting nawala. Sinundan ito ng tunog ng mga sasakyan. When I opened my eyes, karamihan sa kanila ay nalapatan na ng first aid at ang iba ay isinasakay na sa van.