Chapter 29

Diego drove a few cars behind the guy, careful to not let him take notice that we're following him. The car was silent with so much tension.

That guy and his companion attacked us, kidnapped Klaus and tortured him, and killed Mom and Diego's friend. I don't care if I don't get out alive. I will avenge Mom.

Diego parked in front of an almost run down motel.

The car we were following is being vacated by the man as he walked up the stairs and went to a room.

"That's their place." Diego muttered.

I nodded my head as I think of a plan to kill the both of them.

"I want the both of you to stay here while I do something." Diego got out of his car but I still followed him.

"What are you doing?" he looked at me as I got out.

"I'm going with." I answered as I tied my hair back.

"No, you're not." Diego shook his head at me but I just scoffed at him.

"You're not the boss of me. Besides, you're going to need back up in case this foes sideways." I walked past him and went towards their car.

Diego sighed and followed me.

"What's your plan?" I asked him as he crouched down to stick something under the car.

"GPS." Diego grunted as he stood back up.

"We're just going to follow them?" I questioned him.

"We're going to ambush them when they're not expecting it." Diego replied.

I looked up at the room the guy went into. "Why not now? They probably have no idea we're here. They won't stand a chance against the both of us-"

"What's with the rush?" Diego cut me off.

I contemplated whether I should tell him but he's looking at me intently. He won't let me go until I answer his question.

"They... They're responsible for Mom's death, Diego." I answered, staring at him straight in the eye.

Diego, once again, had a blank look on his face.

"You think they killed her?" he asked me with a confused face.

"Yeah. It's obvious." I stated. "Those psychopaths shot us down and sliced Mom's wires."

I expected Diego to be angry, to lash out, to force our entry but he just looked down on the ground with a sigh.

His blank expression and lack of emotion made me suspicious.

"Do you know something I don't?" I grabbed his arm.

"Look, this is not the time, Aira. Let's just go back in the car." Diego tried walking back but I held him back.

Diego looked back at me then to my hand.

"Let go." Diego said but I didn't comply.

"What do you know?" I demanded.

"I'll tell you later-"

"Either tell me now or I will burn your fucking arm." I taunted. Diego's hiding something about Mom's death and I don't like it one bit.

Diego glanced at me shortly. "I did it." 

I'm confused.

"What?" I scrunched my eyebrows up at him.

"I was the one who did that to Mom." Diego stared at my eye.

I let go of his arm in shock. 

"No, you didn't." I shook my head.

Diego doesn't have the heart to kill Mom. He wouldn't.

"Yeah, I did." Diego said.

Instead of anger, I felt betrayal.

"Why? Why the fuck would you do that Diego? I mean, you're the one against Luther shutting her down. You're the one who loved Mom the most. She helped you with your stutter, she raised us when we were kids, she loved us! Why would you even do that to he-"

"It's cause Luther's right!" Diego whispered harshly at me. "After you passed out, I went up to check on Mom."

Diego looked like he's having a hard time recalling what happened but I need to know.

"She's..." Diego trailed off. "She's doing some sewing but she ended up putting the needle and thread through her skin, Aira. I asked her if she's okay and did she get hurt and she looked like she had no idea what happened when we got attacked." 

I had hope in me that Diego's words aren't true but his guilty expression made me believe that he indeed was the one who did that to Mom.

"As much as I don't want to do it, I had to. You, of all people should know that. She's not the same, Aira. Her system is declining. She's degrading." Diego words and tone were soft.

I kept looking at him to see if his words were true but his expression already says a lot.