Tease, Jim'll know.

Börja om från början

He couldn't keep watching her. The lie he'd told himself was that he wanted to protect her, and now he was going beyond that lie. He'd found himself touching his lips too often, remembering the taste of coffee. The warmth of her tongue, and the softness of her lips. Her final gasp before she falling an exclamation mark to everything that haunted him in those weeks. He needed to clear his head somehow, and found himself driving out of Gotham; the Gothic behemoths melting into green and black.

It wasn't too late when he arrived to the house with brick walled perimeter. He parked the Batmobile further away, and used his grapple to launch himself towards the roof of the house. When he landed down on the smooth concrete, the light of the kitchen illuminated him. He heard the small grunt, and looked over to the garden chair.

In the darkness, the cherry end of a cigarette burned bright; a trail of smoke went up, spreading an ember-light against the the familiar features. A bony nose, a moustache, and a pair of spectacles.

"I saw you coming a mile off."

"Jim," he said.

"You were the last person I'd expected to come out here."

"How are you, Jim?"

"Better than you."

"Is it that obvious?"

"You wouldn't be here if it wasn't serious."

"Where is Barbara?"

"Asleep," he said as he sucked in fresh smoke. "I'm supposed to be quitting. I only smoke before I sleep."

"I won't keep you."

"I can't imagine you're busy. I hear good things."

Bruce stared at him.

"Melanie and Stacy are the heads on the GCPD task force. I like to keep a figurehead role. They keep me informed. Closest thing I have to a career nowadays."

"You were supposed to be retired."

"I am," said Jim as he leant back in the chair. "It's like weaning yourself off. Gets easier over time."

"Have you ever thought of coming back?"

"No," he said sternly. "Once, maybe. But it's peaceful. We did our part. I did mine, and you did yours too. We won."

Bruce sighed.

"What is it?"

"Is that what stops you? Thinking we've won?"

"No. It's Barbara. I didn't fight just because I was a cop, I did it to leave behind something."

"I can't do that."

"You scared? I didn't think you of all people would be."

"It's not like that, Jim. It's not fear of leaving it behind."

"You don't know what to live for going forward?"

Bruce grabbed a lawn chair and sat down in it. He gripped the cowl, pulled it up, and took a deep breath as the cold hit his face. Jim stubbed out the cigarette and stared at him impassively.

"I think I do," said Bruce.

"It's a woman." Jim smiled slyly. "It's always a woman, Bruce."

"Am I transparent?"

"I'm a lot older than you. You see faces, learn how it works."

"Gotham doesn't need me anymore."

"You're changing the subject, Bruce."

"You're right," he said. "I am scared. Scared of letting go, and scared of not letting go."

"You know I couldn't have done anything if I didn't have Barbara. She was my reason for fighting. Is she yours?"

He didn't know how to answer it. He wanted to figure it out, deduce it. But in the end he could only sit in silence.

"I've never seen you like that," said Jim as he stood up. "Strange. But I guess you don't know everything."

"Is this where you become philosophical in your old age?"

"Maybe. If it'd help you," he said as he folded his arms. "When your ideals are gone, all that's left is people. You should let go, Bruce. Go find your own Barbara. Your parents would be proud of what you've done. It's time you let it go."

"Was she worth letting it all go?"

Jim looked up at the bedroom window, devoid of light. "If I had to make the same choice, leave it all behind?"

"Would you?"

"She was worth it every time."

Bruce stood up, he stuck his hand out. Jim shook it and nodded. "Did I help at all?"

Bruce smiled. "We'll see. It's good to see you, Jim. Good to see you peaceful."

"Maybe I could say the same one day. I'm not getting younger though."

Jim turned to the patio door, stopped, then turned back. Bruce was already gone.

"Old habits," he said with a smile as he walked inside.