SIXTEEN

[GLASS CLINKING]

[CHUCKLES]

"Your, Grace. The Lieutenant is here to see you!" Ahmed walks into the dining hall.

[LAUGHS DIES DOWN]

"Oh, bring him."

Zosar walks into the room showing off his white teeth, I am sure he thinks that but it's not that white anyway, he takes a bow before seating on the empty chair, beside Rashida. She smiles weirdly, taking in the closeness of their hands.

"What has brought, my lieutenant to my home?" Father asked, sipping his wine.

"Your Grace, I have come to remind you of the deal and the joining of our family."

He didn't have to spoil our breakfast this morning, why must he bring up a discussion that creates a hole in my heart? Why is he so ventured in marry me?

"Zosar, is there no other way to cut the deal off... The law says the first child should wed before the second..." Father sighed.

"My king, a deal is a deal and I am sure I didn't come to the palace to argue this with you, I chose to marry Kleopatra and I insist. And if you ever think of taking this case to the court, it is a signed deal and it is highly recorded in the supreme court... so my king think wisely."

[KLEOPATRA SCOFFS]

"Mr Zosar, why do you choose to marry me instead of my sister, I mean, it is not stated in your deal that you 'must' marry the king's second offspring but his daughter, so why me?" I stared at him in disgust.

"[SIGHS] Princess, I see someone has been taking confident lessons.[ KLEO ROLLS EYES] yes, the deal doesn't say a name but it says, I can choose any of the king's daughters to marry."

"And what if the king never had a second daughter, would you still think of marrying me?" [GROWLS]

[EXHALES]  [LAUGHS]

"Why don't we finish our breakfast, then we can discuss this over dinner or walk time.?" My father spoke up, easing up the heat.

"Yes, that will be lovely." My mother adds.

************************

"So Princess, tell me, how long have you walked round this palace?" Zosar asked with a smile. Honestly, this man provokes me, even with the slightest thing he does, it's nauseous.

"[SIGHS] I was born here, so tell me, why wouldn't I walk and tour and know where I live." [KLEO GROWLS]

"Aye! You do not have to be so offended."

[KLEO HISS]

As they walked around the garden of the palace, he kept talking about his new building, projects and riches, but still, riches doesn't change her mind. Rashida watches them through the palace hall windows in grudge. She walks out immediately, she sees them walk through the entrance.

"Mr Youseef! What a beautiful afternoon it is." She smiled[chuckling]

"Yes, indeed, My princess." He smiled.

I stare at them in disinterest.

"I was just telling your sister of the project back in Sudan and the many properties I own..." Rashida kept falling for his stories, while I kept swimming in my thoughts deeply.

"My princess! Is everything alright, you look strained?" He asked me, moving to my side.

'No, I am fine, I will like to depart for my leisure hours." I turned to the opposite side of the garden.

"Oh! I wish to have you close to me, but I should be going, since you have other plans for the day" I take a bow before smiling as I had learned.

"Mr Youseef, please wait, don't go I wish to discuss things, many... things with you sir!" Rashida spoke up behind me.

[SILENCE]

"Uhh... why not my princess, I would like to stay for a little while in your company." He looked at me then at Rashida with a forged smile.

"Thank you Mr Youseef for the walk, it was a pleasant one.!" I bow

"My pleasure, my grace. Some other time perhaps?" He asked

[INHALES]"Maybe!" 

I said waking out of the garden in haste. 

********************

"Kleopatra, don't you have an interest in Zosar? I believe he makes a fine husband." I look at my mother, who was opposite me in the family tub. 

"Mother, no way am I ever going to be interested in that man, and I am pretty sure Rashida is head over heels in love with Zosar. So I am sure she will make a good wife." I looked at my sister who sat beside me in the tub.

"Kleo!" 
"What Mother? But I only speak the truth. Or am I lying Shida?" She smiled sheepishly.

"Rashida, do you find Zosar attractive or have you any man in mind?" My mother asked.

"Well, he is not bad but I rather settle for the American." She chuckled

"But you know the laws of the land, marry only a royal and not a commoner."

[CHUCKLES]

"Well, I believe, men of great success and high position will sweep you both, off your feet."

[EXHALES]

"Mother! Do I have to marry Mr zosar?"

"Dearest, it is already a done deal."My mother comforted me

"Why do you have to bring this up while I am here Kleopatra? You do not have to marry him and you do not love him anyway, so it would be easy for me to get my luck" Rashida popped her head to the side.

[GIGGLING]

"Kleo, darling, how was your walk with the lieutenant?" 

[KLEO SCOFFS]

"It was depressing, I cannot believe it, mother! That the man thinks so poorly of me...."

"And why is that?" 

"Well, he kept talking about his properties and wealth in Sudan, and the rest I didn't bother to hear... He thinks I would like to marry him for his abundance." 

[SIGHS]

"Well you know, Kleo, men do have an ego, so I believe he is wooing you."

"Wooing me?"

"Wooing her? She has no interest in him, mother but he still follows kleo, like a sick puppy."

"Well, it's his choice, whoever he wishes to marry is his choice, I know my daughters will make  lovely wives to their spouse."

"But, mom why can't he just, marry me instead and not Kleo, it's going to be a great shame on my part for my younger sister to marry before me and I cannot stand that shame." Rashida groans.

"Rashida, is the lieutenants wish to marry your sister, so for once be happy for her and I am sure of it, that there will be other great suitors of high position waiting for you, I am certain of that.... "

Rashida groans in resentment, sliding into the tub deeply as the lavender water covers her body. Kleopatra, her body went numb, the air she breathed sticking in her chest, painfully, the thought of marrying the lieutenant is not a thought, that would be brought in a hot bath.