29 | why i truly left erik solar

Start from the beginning

Was he being rude? Yes. Did it matter to me when everything hurt like hell?

Not really.

"We sincerely apologize for this behavior, Mr. Dragomir," a new voice quickly squeaked out. "We employed this lady because she begged for a job. We really had no idea she would treat patients like this. As the senior director here, I can assure you that you will never see her again-"

"Thank you, sir," Avery gritted out. "Now could you please-"

"Yes, of course," he rushed out anxiously. "Do you have a name I can enter into the database for her?"

"Vesper," Avery answered stiffly. "Vesper Du Sang."

"D-Du Sang?" the man spluttered. "Did you say she was your girlfriend? My, we really, truly apologize for-"

"The emergency room is ready," a sympathetic voice cut in. I could practically feel Avery's relief.

My body was lifted to a cold surface and I heard Avery murmur faintly, "You're going to be alright, Vesper. Everything will stop hurting."

x

When I stirred awake, I was in a private room of the hospital. It was late at night, past midnight. Avery was asleep beside me, sitting on a chair next to the hospital bed, his head resting on the covers. I watched him for a moment, suddenly reminded with why he could stop a girl's heart with a glance.

As I reached over with my fingers to comb through his dark strands of hair, the door opened, and a nurse entered. I jerked my fingers away, as if caught red handed.

Was this the nurse who called Avery a delinquent? There were so many other things to call him but she settled with delinquent?

But then the woman smiled and I knew it wasn't the same nurse. She nodded to Avery and said, "He hasn't left your side since you left the surgery room."

I cleared my throat and pulled away from Avery. Her voice was familiar. This was the lady who said the emergency room was ready. I joked, "He has a savior complex."

She said gently, "You're very lucky to have someone care so much about you. Tell him you love him more."

My cheeks flushed. "I don't-"

"Love him?" the nurse looked at me knowingly. I was speechless for a moment. "It's okay to love and trust someone, even if your past experiences tell you otherwise."

Jesus, this woman should be a therapist. I changed the subject quickly, grimacing as I shifted in a sitting position. "How many ribs did I break?"

"Three," the nurse told me sympathetically. "You're lucky he got you into surgery in time because most of your pressing injuries weren't actually the ribs, but internal bleeding due to blunt trauma. You aren't in danger of dying, but you do have quite a few injuries, especially on the exterior."

Three metal hits, three broken ribs, and one slap.

If she did this to me, what did she do to Ella?

I won't forget this Gloria and I'll make sure you don't.

My gaze slowly drifted to Avery, who was still asleep. "How did he react to all of that?"

The nurse smiled again. "Not well, but he kept silent because you were resting."

I nodded and the nurse finished documenting things on her clipboard. Before she left, however, she said very quietly, "Mr. Dragomir told us this was an athletic accident, but your injuries say otherwise." The nurse pursed her lips. She hesitated before her resolve strengthened. "You can report these things to the police, dear."