"Why aren't you?" Patricia asked back.

"I am waiting for my date with miss Robinson.
Patricia, what's in the bag? I hope you're not trying to smuggle contraband into the prom," he said.

"No. It's just girly stuff. That girls use. I can be really girly at times," Patricia replied.

"Okay. You won't mind if I take a look," he told her as he took the bag and started to open it. As he did so Rufus slipped into the classroom and shut the door on us.

"Red sutekh sand flies. Very rare, quite vicious, and certainly deadly. Now everyone do as I say or I break this glass. You, get the blinds," he ordered as he looked at Fabian. "The rest of you, get over there," he told us before turning to Mr. Winkler. "Leave that there. Now, you get me elixir and the chosen one. I want them within the hour. Or I break this glass," he demanded.

"You are insane," Mr. Winkler said.

"Very observant. Now go. Oh, apologies, Patricia. This time the note was not from Joy.
Sorry to disappoint. But at least I get what I came for. The ankh pieces, all seven of them.
What's this? Where are my Ankh pieces? You will all pay for this!" He exclaimed as he checked the bag to find only bottles of water.

"Perfect, Patricia. They're safe," I heard my sister whisper.

"Yeah, but are we?" She whispered back.

"Where are the Ankh pieces?" Rufus asked angrily.

"Did you really think we'd be stupid enough to carry them around with us, today of all days, knowing everyone is after them?" Nina told him.

"You gave them to Joy, didn't you? You do realize that she is part of all of this, don't you?" Rufus hissed.

"Yeah. She's the chosen one. We're not stupid," I told him as I crossed my arms and glared at him. I could feel Jerome's hand still on my back and somehow that made me feel safe.

"Who wants the cup just as much as anyone else. You have played straight into their hands," Rufus said.

"No, no, no, no. Layla, don't believe him. He's a liar. He's playing you!" Jerome argued.

"Oh, really? Thanks for telling me about the purposed rendezvous with Joy, Jerome. You've been a very useful spy!" Rufus stated.

"I did not tell, you creep! I did not double-cross you guys. I swear I didn't. Not this time!" Jerome said as he tried to launch himself at Rufus but thankfully Fabian and Alfie held him back.

"It's okay, Jerome. We believe you. Joy's on your side, and you know it. That's why you knew we'd be meeting up with her, and why you'll get your pieces when Jason brings you Joy and the elixir," I glared at Rufus.

"Jason, are you in there? I'm sorry I'm late.
I got a flat. Jason?" We heard miss Robinson calling out from the other side of the door.

"What's that? Give!" Rufus instructed as we heard the sound of vibrating coming from Patricia. "Missed call from Joy. How interesting. Call her back. Tell her to meet here immediately with the pieces," Rufus told her.

"No," she replied.

"They look very angry, and so am I," Rufus said as he shook the hourglass in his hand.

"Patricia, call her," Amber whimpered.

"It rang and rang, and now it's just switched over to her voicemail," Patricia said as she hung up the phone. Rufus grabbed it back and then threw it at the wall.

"You're paying for that!" Patricia exclaimed.

"Sit down and shut up, all of you! Time is running out for you people!" Rufus cried out. I hurried to sit down next to Jerome, who squeezed my hand under the table.