8.1 - Blast From The Past

Easton

I vividly remembered everything about last night.

Every word, every moment, every sound.

Ava had come undone, and I was the one who guided her through every step. And fuck, it was the most alluring thing I had ever heard.

Imagining exactly what I was describing didn't do her justice.

I should've gone over there the second I realized what she wanted, but it wouldn't have been the right time.

Ava wasn't fragile in the least, but she was wary. The wrong move could have her run away at any second.

I knew as soon as I met her, I had to tread carefully around her.

In return, she rewarded me by opening herself up
more and more to the idea of us, and nothing had ever made me this happy. A feeling I wasn't used to, but was learning to cherish.

Once we said goodbye I ended up falling asleep on the couch I had in my office in Nova in a matter of seconds, having woken up with a massive headache, but nothing a few pills wouldn't fix.

I left the club and decided to walk. The one good thing about New York was that you didn't have to walk far to get anywhere.

The weather was cloudy, but the rain had ceased for the time being. I passed a few storefronts that were already decorated for Thanksgiving, which was six days away. We were getting closer and closer to the holidays.

I can't say I've ever enjoyed the festivities. They were meant to be spent with family, and mine wasn't much of one.

Usually it was just me and Ella ordering Chinese takeout and playing board games all day. I can't count how many times I've beaten her on Jenga.

But this year, it would be a good time to invite my mother over.

And having the two most important women in my life in the same room would be the perfect excuse to introduce them to the girl who stole my heart.

I just needed to find the right way to bring it up.

I walked by a jewelry store that caught my attention due to the bright string lights it had hanging above.

As I looked at the store display in passing, I saw a something that would be perfect for her. I didn't even hesitate before going back and walking inside to get it.

***

The walk to my street didn't take me more than fifty minutes. I picked up the pace, as I was yearning for a long shower after the night I had.

I was about to get into the lobby when I heard a painfully familiar voice calling me from a distance.

"Max!"

I froze. Of all of the people I could've ran into, she was one of the two I desperately didn't want to see.

I turned around and walked closer to her, to avoid having her follow me inside. I didn't want to give the doorman the idea that she was welcome when she wasn't.

She was wearing workout clothes; a long sleeved blue top that exposed her toned stomach, a pair of black low waist leggings and Puma sneakers. Her long, curly hair was in a bun.