2.2 - Friday Night Fever

Ava

I spent all afternoon daydreaming about emerald-colored eyes.

Mr. Maxwell ate all of the food and told me to give compliments to the cook. He stayed for a coffee afterwards and helped me clean up his booth, from the dirty dishes to the table, even after I insistently told him not to.

When he left, he dropped a hundred bill on top of the booth. I went after him and told him the eighty-dollar tip was excessive, and I couldn't keep it. He grinned at me, said "See you later," and got into a black Sedan with tinted windows.

I had never met a rich guy so down to Earth before. Most of them were smug, annoying, and disrespectful towards anyone that didn't possess the same status. And no rich person had ever stepped foot in here.

He was clearly so out of place, even if he had made an effort not to look it. He wore black formal pants, real black Oxfords and a white shirt, with the first two buttons undone, adorning what could have only been a very expensive cologne that I smelled from miles away.

Still, he couldn't have been more noticeable, not only from the way he dressed, but the way he carried himself.

With his light-tanned skin, his shiny black hair, his distinctively toned body and those dreamy eyes, he would never blend in with the crowd, even if he was wearing what resembled a sack of potatoes like most of us down in Queens.

I had called Sydney telling her there was a change of plans, and just as I suspected, my best friend had become frantic once I told her we would be going into one of the hottest clubs in the city. Tyler was also excited, even though it was typical of him to only frequent the best places to begin with.

I, however, could not be dreading it more. Did he lie when he said I'd able to get in, just like that? I really hoped not.

As 8 pm was approaching, I got more and more nervous. Once the girl who was going to replace me arrived, I bolted to the employee's bathroom, praying I would manage to make myself look decent in a short amount of time.

I put on my satin backless, little black dress and white spaghetti-strapped heels I had brought from home, thanking myself for going all out, not yet knowing I was going to see him.

I undid the bun and tied my hair into a high ponytail, as put together as I could possibly make it, and darkened my eyeshadow, the usual nude tones were replaced by grey and black.

I added some bronzer and highlighter and redid my usual red lipstick. At 8:30 pm I finally exited the bathroom, taking an Uber to the closest Subway station, placing my phone into the small bedazzled bag I had borrowed from Sydney, trying to calm the million thoughts I had in my head in the meantime.

***

Nova was located on Madison Avenue, and it was everyone's dream to get in. Everyone, except for me.

With an infinite waiting line that went around for at least two blocks, anyone would be lucky to get in without an invitation.

I climbed the extensive glass stairs towards the entrance, with Sydney and Tyler following closely behind me, in awe of everything that surrounded us. Specially the big sign that spelled NOVA in cold, flashing lights, right under the darkened entryway.

"How did you manage to get us in here, again?" Questioned Tyler, in a very confused tone.

"I know a guy." I replied, shrugging my shoulders.

"You know a guy? That's new." Sydney commented, in a mocking tone.

"Ah, ah." I retorted.

We stopped by the bouncers, all equally as big and intimidating, and I spoke to the one holding the name sheet.