Ch. 38

Trigger warning: Blood, Kidnapping, Akatsuki, Swearing

Team 7 raced across the desert. It was almost morning when they found Kankuro laying in the sand.

"Kankuro!" Sakura put a hand on him. "Poison."

The boy struggled to look up. "T-they have G-Gaara."

Naruto put a hand on him. "Don't worry Kankuro. We'll bring him back." He looked at Sakura. "Can you being Kankuro back to the village? He needs to get that poison removed."

Sakura nodded. She slung the injured puppet master over her shoulder. "Be safe." She ran off, her cloak of red Chakra absorbing into her skin. The same happened to Kakashi and Sasuke.

The three others continued to run. They followed the tracks left behind by one of the Akatsuki. Naruto was also following Gaara's Chakra.

Kakashi looked up. "I see him. He's wrapped around the tail of a bird."

The two young ninjas followed his eye. There was a large white bird. Three of its tail feathers were wrapped around Gaara.

Naruto snarled. He lept straight up. Using Kurama's Chakra, he was able to get above the bird.

A man with long blonde hair and a device over his right eye looked at him. "What the"

Before he could even finish the sentence, Naruto punched him off the bird. He grew his right hand into a claw. He slashed Gaara out of the tails. He started to fall.

Naruto dove after him. The blonde tackled the redhead mid-air. Though his arms were full, Naruto waved a few signs. 'Wind Style! Self Tornado Jutsu!'

A small Tornado surrounded the pair. The two gently landed on the ground.
Thanks, kid. Shukaku spoke in Naruto's mind.

'Happy to help.' Naruto stood up. The man he punched off was now standing next to a short, but wide man with a straw hat.

Naruto growled at them. "Who are you?"

The blonde reached into his bag. "The name Deidara. This is my partner Sasori. What do you think you're doing here?"

Kakashi and Sasuke stood at either side of him. Naruto glanced at them. "Kakashi, can you get Gaara out of here?"

The masked man nodded. "Wouldn't be the best plan though. Deidara's clay is explosive. It can be neutralized by lightning style."

Deidara chuckled. "You know so much. Kakashi of the Sharingan."

Sasuke drew his sword. "Kakashi, can you take Sasori? Naruto and I can take Deidara."

Naruto nodded. He crossed his fingers and made a clone. The clone took Gaara and ran a few feet.

"Oh no you don't!" Deidara sent a volley of explosive insects.

The clone set Gaara down. It knelt next to him and clasped his hands together. "Barrier Style. Purple Dome Jutsu!" The bug slammed into the purple dome and exploded. They did nothing to the barrier.

"Hn." The mouths of Deidara's hands spat out more clay shapes. "I guess I'll have to deal with you first."

"Deidara." Sasori looked at him. "We are to bring the one-tails."

Deidara scoffed. "Yeah, yeah I know. But to get him back, I just need to kill these three."

Naruto snarled. His eyes went red, a black lining formed around his eyes and lips, his nails changed into claws and his teeth became fangs. He pulled his ears back. "Good luck with that."