Chapter 12: The Sselvu River

The group has set out for Wyrmwood Territory at the crack of dawn, CryoFangs having been the first one to awaken as she had quietly roused the others to consciousness.

And now that they were flying, it was about time for a time check. "Based on us waking up at such an unholy hour," Ember grumbled quietly as he glanced towards the sun, "I'd say we've been flying for... almost two hours now?"

"That sounds correct," CryoFangs nodded with a yawn, "which means we still have quite a flight ahead of us."

"Remind me again, why is it taking so long?"

She sighed, "because we're not flying over the Vile Mountain Range, EmberWrath– not only due to the rumors surrounding it, but the mist over the mountains is particularly thick for some reason, and I'd like to not get lost or murdered on the way there." She said with a sarcastic chuckle, Ember scoffed quietly and muttered under his breath, "I wouldn't mind that..."

CryoFangs heard him, but she refused to acknowledge that as they flew, she didn't want a repeat of last night in the slightest. He's not getting on my nerves right now, or anytime today. CryoFangs said to herself, distantly wondering just what kind of grudge the "Mafia-survivor" had against her.

Perhaps it's something from his past? ...or maybe he just dislikes everyone? She shrugged and gazed at the ground below. The grass was certainly a lot greener towards Wyrmwood Territory, and, in the distance to her right, she could see the faint shapes of Aquaz swimming in Oracle Lake. They had passed by a few early this morning but were too tired to acknowledge them, and the passersby seemed just as tired.

Slipstream was quietly flying closer to her, and upon glancing at her, the Aquaz spoke, "everything alright, CryoFangs?"

She nodded, "yes, everything's fine."

Slipstream seemed to frown slightly as her lure flashed, "am I not allowed to worry about you? You said that like you didn't want to talk."

CryoFangs sighed through her nose, "you can worry about me, and I do want to talk. I'm just... thinking." She said, the semi-aquatic dragon nodded in understanding. It wasn't a lie, Cryo was, indeed, thinking, and with the distant thought of their mission and the Book of Bloodlines hugged close to her, she felt anxious.

This Book has all of Shiverthorn's legend contained within it, and it holds the key to destroying the SchattenSeele...

Our only problem being that nobody but the Wyrmwoods know where this Animus Assailant is located. So... we just hope that Shiverthorn is right, and we can actually get some help.

She thought back to what her ancestor had explained to them: "'The Animus Assailant is a simple, cut, talon-sized gemstone, one that takes on any color it wishes, but one thing that never changes is the swirling lights in its depths and the veins of gold running through it. If it's touched by anyone who isn't Protected by or is a LichtSeele, their entire being will be absorbed by the Assailant, never to be seen again...'"

To her, the Animus Assailant looked to be a cut, teardrop-shaped jewel that fit in the palm of her talon, but who knew what it truly looked like? It's been two thousand years since this gem has been seen, and Shiverthorn doesn't even know where it is... we've got our work cut out for us, I believe.

Looking ahead, she saw that they were almost about to pass over the mere end of the Vile Mountain Range, the small, stony hills were cloaked in that otherworldly, cold mist. She knew that really couldn't be avoided, it was either fly through the Range or catch the ends of the peaks by going the long way around.

CryoFangs turned her head to look back at her group, everyone was quiet and seemingly minding their own business. Slipstream was flying next to Cryo, EmberWrath was grumpily flying behind her, Nimbus was flying above her, and finally, Eis brought up the rear. Upon seeing her looking at him, he gave a toothy smile, she mirrored him as her heart thumped faster.