Chapter 41: Firecracker

16 years old

The sun hasn't faded yet, which makes their escape more difficult. Or obvious. So instead of running behind each building, begging to be caught, they go through the crowd in the courtyard. They blend in. Because of Summer's drastic change in clothes and hair, no one gives her a second look as Gage escorts her through the bedlam in the courtyard, most of them still eating dinner. He's careful to clear the way so she's not overcrowded. The women in the courtyard have eyes glued to Gage, sparkling like they're worshipping his every muscle. But their eyes always seem to trail down his arm and find Summer's hand attached to his, and then they glare at her. She can't help but stare at the ground as they walk between tables full of people, wishing to dissolve into the ground.

Her friends have spread out in groupings so they're less conspicuous, though they plan to meet in the parking lot behind Edward Complex. Many Leaguers filter into the mass of people, stopping before every blonde they see. One rushes up to them, and Gage quickly pulls Summer behind him. The Leaguer's skin is covered with colorful tattoos, all the way up his neck and down his exposed, muscled arms.

"Hey, Appleton!" the man says, out of breath.

"Raclaw," greets Gage stoically. Summer recognizes the name. It's Kevin Raclaw, the man in charge of the camp; he doesn't care much for the Outlanders. This could set them back and possibly ruin their plans if Gage doesn't find a way to quickly dump him.

"Whatever happened to that hot little blonde girl you liked?" Kevin asks nonchalantly, though the undertone isn't friendly. He sweeps his brown hair from his dark eyes, searching the throng of people. "You know they'll want to check her out—she looks too much like the sketch they provided." His voice lowers as his eyes land on her. "If you ask me, I think it's her."

Summer wants to melt into the ground, just knowing he can see right through the black hair and dark clothes.

Gage promptly relinquishes Summer's hand and steps away, pulling Kevin with him. "You should really keep your voice down," Gage scolds, and Kevin's eyes snap to his, abandoning his penetrating stare on Summer. "Don't tell this one behind me," he whispers with a tilt of his head at Summer, "but I'm supposed to be meeting that hot blonde behind building K in twenty minutes." He elbows Kevin, and they both chuckle. "The blonde? She's a firecracker that one—so if you're planning on going back there, first make sure you give me time to finish up, and secondly, bring backup."

Kevin's eyes flick to Summer's, and she glances down quickly to avoid his stare. "You're a goldrod, Appleton!"

"No, Kevin, I'm smart. Now if you don't mind"—his thumb stabs over his shoulder at Summer—"I only have twenty minutes, if you know what I mean." There's a lilt in his voice.

"By all means," Kevin says with a chuckle. "I've got an Outlander to find."

Kevin strides away, and Gage turns and reaches for Summer. When Kevin's out of hearing range Gage says, "Now we definitely don't have much time, but at least I sent them to the opposite side of camp." He lets out a long breath.

She firmly grips his hand, and he leads her away from the courtyard and to the left between the Leaguer building and cafeteria until they're on the outskirts of the camp. They stride amid the humming electrical fence and the Leaguer building. Only a hundred feet ahead of them is Cameron, Rob, and Jaden, and a hundred feet behind them is Lucy, Avery, and Landon. It's just now six in the evening, and the sun's at a slant in the sky, blinding Summer as they reach the Edward Complex, the building in the far corner of the camp. Gage stops abruptly and pulls Summer away from the side of the building so they're directly in front of it. Cameron, Rob, and Jaden are already past the building, though Lucy, Landon, and Avery stop.