Chapter 7: Drifter

15 years old

Jaden cracks the door open and glances down the hallway; first to the right, then to the left. Summer and Landon stand behind her as they wait to hear the verdict. She finally peeks over her shoulder and whispers, "It's clear. Remember the plan."

They all nod at each other. During their planning, Landon decided it'd be best if he stuck with Jaden to make sure she isn't setting them up. He voiced his disgruntled opinion of leaving Summer to her own devices but knows if anything were to go awry that she'll be able to find the best hiding spot until he's able to find her.

Jaden is the first to step out and quickly goes left toward the kitchen. Landon and Summer are next.

"Be careful," he whispers to her.

There are no words to say, even if she did speak. Instead, she gives him a tight hug and takes off in the opposite direction. The plan is for Landon and Jaden to distract the Secret Clock Society. Summer has no idea who they are or what they do exactly, but when Jaden speaks of them, she does so carefully. Like she's seen something she can't comprehend or form into words.

Summer flies down the corridor and runs into the end of it where she knows just outside there are steps that lead to the Captain's area. Carefully, she peeks from the door and sees someone she doesn't recognize. They definitely aren't part of the crew. The man has short, dark hair, a closely shaven face, and is wearing the nicest looking black coat she's ever seen. He must be part of the Society. She's not quite sure how she's going to get past him until her eyes land on a broom Landon must have left on the deck earlier today. She slips her shoes off to prevent making any noise.

Thanking the Captain for his pet peeve of never having a squeaky door, she pulls the door forward when the man's back turns to her. There are a few lights out on the deck which makes excellent shadows for her to hide in. She hugs the wall and scoots along, her fingers outstretched for the broom's handle.

The man pivots back around, and she freezes. Her breath is already heavy from running, but she doesn't want to move her hand to cover her mouth. Her lips seal in an attempt to make herself as quiet as possible. Her heart slams into her ribs as the man's eyes—almost glowing in the dark—rake over the shadows. A bead of sweat rolls down her face when he focuses on a spot next to her. Tears fill her eyes in an effort to hold her lips shut. Her lungs feel like they aren't receiving enough oxygen, and her muscles are pulled so tight in her current position that she's waiting for them to rip and tear free from her bones.

The man shrugs, lights a cigarette, and turns back around. She's so relieved she almost collapses. She continues to hug the wall until her fingers find purchase on the broom. Most of the cleaning supplies on the Cosmos are old and worn down. There isn't a broom on the whole ship that doesn't come apart at the base. This is the first time she doesn't mentally complain about the crappy cleaning supplies—she's actually thanking the Captain again.

This is the hard part. With more grace than she even knows she has, she squats next to the broom. Afraid it'll make a noise, she gently holds the base and the stick, her lips still sealed to prevent any excess noise. Another bead of sweat rolls down her nose and plops onto the ground. Then she begins to twist the stick until it breaks free from the base. She softly lets the broom lean against the wall. Her heart's palpitations speed up, and her eyes dilate as she holds on to the wall to help her up.

In mid-motion, the man turns around again, tapping the ashes free from his cigarette before he takes another drag, the tip lighting orange in the dark. His eyes trace over the shadows again, but this time he thinks he sees something. She's so convinced it's her that she grips the stick until her fingers ache from it. The man slowly makes his way over to her, though he seems to be unsure of what he's looking at. When he's merely a few meters away, Summer raises the broomstick and brings it down over the man's head.