Chapter 15: Splashy

16 years old

It's the abrupt burst of frigid water that wakes Summer as they glide under the waterfall. There's an arm bound tightly around her waist, and a firm hand at the back of her neck. Her feet dangle off the ground.

"Retire," Gage says, and they drop to the ground. A golden light bathes the cave, and the waterfall echoes off the rocks. He carefully removes his hand from her neck, and she looks up at his eyes, his blonde hair dripping onto her face.

He smiles. "You're awake."

She returns the smile, her body calmly drifting in some far-off ocean. But then she begins to shiver from the cold water and the even colder cave air. It's like a different planet on the other side. He removes the jacket he'd placed around her before they went under the waterfall with one hand. He keeps his one arm steady about her waist, which is good because she probably couldn't stand. The jacket drops to the ground. There's a hood, but she guesses the water was too violent and ripped it off because her hair drips water down her back, soaking her.

"How's your head feeling?" he asks and offers his palm to her like it's normal.

"Unattached," she writes in his palm.

"That good, eh?" He laughs, and she silently joins him. But his laughter dies away, and their closeness is unmistakable—spotlighted, even. "I...um," he stutters.

"The scanner is ready," Cameron says behind her.

He bends down and takes her into his arms. This is becoming a habit, she thinks—she hates and likes it all at the same time. Everything about this man makes her feel conflicted. He situates her on a sleeping bag Cameron has laid out.

"Lie down on your side, facing away from me," Cameron says with a genuine smile.

She does as she's told, and Gage walks out of view. She can hear him and Jaden conversing, but their voices are too low to discern anything due to the waterfall. She wonders if they're talking about her.

"Okay, Summer. Hold perfectly still—this will be painless." There's a buzzing in her ear as Cameron moves some device over her head. The sound is suddenly cut off. "Well, you didn't crack your skull, and there doesn't appear to be any swelling in your brain. The Jackerion I fused the cut with should hold for a couple of days, but it's only temporary. If it doesn't heal in a few days, we'll have to try something more permanent."

Summer turns over and stares into Cameron's brown eyes with her black hair framing her face. There's silence between them, but she wants to ask a question. She sits up and reaches for Cameron's palm to see if she can easily understand her like Gage can, but after two failed attempts it's obvious she can't. Cameron calls for Gage.

"She's trying to tell me something, but I don't understand." She sighs.

"What is it?" he asks Summer, sits down next to her, and holds out his palm.

Eager, she hauls his palm into her lap and quickly writes, "What is Jackerion? Is it what makes me funny inside?"

Jaden drags over a sleeping bag and drops it across from them. Jaden and Cameron sit down and watch the two of them, like they're a movie.

"Well, Jackerion is a substance that seals wounds, contains a ridiculous amount of antibiotics, and is an instant pain reliever. It can sometimes be too much when the person is underweight and can make them sleepy or feel fuzzy." His too-green eyes glance sideways at her with humor. "It was named after the inventor, Jack. Actually, he named it." He pauses. "Now can I ask a question?"

She gives a quick tap into his palm.

He's reluctant for a second, but finally asks, "Why did you react that way—" His head tilts toward the waterfall. "—back there?"