Chapter 23

"Kaylin!" Lucas calls behind me early Saturday afternoon while my mom and I walk up to our barn, making me turn around to see him jogging over to us

"I'll be inside in a few," I say to my mom. I'm wearing my black fitted racerback tank top that has a slight scoop neckline and a keyhole back I have paired with my black pair of high-rise leggings that have an elastic waistband and zip-up hip pockets. My hair's back in a tight fishtail braid while I have my eyes hidden behind my slightly oversized metal matte black square sunglasses which have gray lenses and my feet have been slipped inside of my black paddock zip-up boots.

"Don't take too long, you have horses to take care of," she says as she takes my dress bag from me.

"I know mom," I reply.

"Okay," she nods. "Hi Lucas, nice to see you."

"Hi Tammy," Lucas waves before she goes into the office. He is dressed in his denim blue heather short sleeve t-shirt which has a round neckline and the Ariat logo on the left pec he's paired with his medium blue washed pair of low-rise athletic fit denim jeans while his feet are inside his normal boots.

"Hi babe!" I beam while I jump into his embrace, wrapping my legs around his waist before I kiss him soundly, not caring who sees because I've missed him like crazy.

The video chat I had with Lucas two nights ago was a little rough in the beginning when he got heated about what happened at the track. I got upset and frustrated knowing he was probably going to react that way, but it didn't help my anxiety and how upset I was having him yell at me even though it wasn't actually my fault. My drastic change in mood definitely got him to turn things around and we talked things out through my tears. I wish he would just get here already, even when my morning has been a typical morning awat at a track.

It's stupid to feel so dependent on Lucas to soothe me, but he's become an important part of my life and he's always there for me, wrapping those strong arms and using soft words, kisses and touches to comfort me. He understands things like what happened during the workouts the other morning, being in the horse racing industry like we are. If I was still with Jesse, I doubt he would have been able to understand the full repercussions of what Jacob did and he definitely wouldn't have liked my tears.

"Hi," he smiles against my lips as he adjusts his arms so one stays tightly wrapped around my waist and the other drops to the underside of my thighs to hoist me a little higher.

"God, I missed you," I mumble against the skin along his neck where I bury my head.

He gently sways us side-to- side with a sigh. "I missed you, too, babe."

We probably look like fools embracing like this on the backside, but I don't give a shit. I'm with Lucas again for the first time in days after being separated by a thousand miles.

"How are you feeling?" he asks after he has set me down on the ground a couple of minutes later.

"I'm tired, but I'm so much better now that you're here with me," I answer him while my arms wind around his waist, wanting to keep him as close to me as possible.