Chapter 13

"Bye mom, I'll see you later," I call out two days later on Monday afternoon as I all but skip to the garage from the stairs

"Bye mom, I'll see you later," I call out two days later on Monday afternoon as I all but skip to the garage from the stairs. I'm wearing my black pearl short sleeve cropped top with a boat neckline and a twist-tie waist I've paired with my dark blue washed pair of high-rise denim shorts that have destruction and rolled cuffs. I've pulled my natural hair up into a high ponytail and left my ears bare while my neck and left ring finger are still adorned by my necklace and promise ring. I have slipped my feet inside my pair of brown sandals that have black ankle and heel straps and t-straps, my white domed satchel is resting on my right shoulder while my sleek oversized polished black round sunglasses with gray mirror lenses are already covering my eyes.

Now that summer is here and the Triple Crown season is over, my summer break is in full swing, and I'm starting the day out properly by going over to Lucas's house and surprising him. He's usually always coming over to my house, but even after being away for a few days, I'm in need of a change of scenery from my house. Misty River sounds like the perfect location, mainly since it's away from the prying eyes of my parents who are both home for the moment.

Don't get me wrong, his parents linger too, but unlike my dad and sometimes my mom, his parents seem to be more on board with us being together as a couple and are more lenient on letting us be alone in the house together without constant check-ins.

As unplanned as my mom likes to make her little random check-ins seem, I know better than that, and so does Lucas, especially at this point.

I'm not sure why, but I like to think it's because they know they raised Lucas to be a gentle, kind and understanding man. Which he is, with me at least, and that's what matters to me.

Or, they know teenagers are going to be teenagers and don't expect anything else from us.

"Bye, have fun and be careful," she calls back from the kitchen.

Oh mother, if only you knew that meant in more ways than one now...

"Will do," I smile, heading through the laundry room and into the garage. I go through the motions of leaving the property, and then I'm on my way down the backroads of Lexington to get to my boyfriend.