Chapter 9

Saturday afternoon, almost a week later, I'm up north with everyone else at Pimlico Race Course in Baltimore, Maryland for the 146th Preakness Stakes

Tuesday morning, Pimlico officials announced that Bob Baffert and the Maryland Racing Commission came to an agreement for clearing both of Bob's horses, Medina Spirit and Concert Tour, to compete in the Preakness Stakes as long as the colts cleared the extra testing. Medina Spirit and Concert Tour have passed the extra testing and they are both even sitting at the morning line favorite for the race later this afternoon despite the controversy surrounding their trainer and Medina Spirit at the moment.

New York has yet to say anything about the Belmont Stakes and Churchill Downs hasn't announced anything further either, so everything is very much up the air, creating a sense of tension around Pimlico.

Bob Baffert has also been running his mouth of sorts saying that the Betamethasone found in the colt's system wasn't anything that would have affected his performance in the Derby. He's also come back and corrected his original statement that the drug had never been given to the colt. It turns out the drug was in a topical medication Medina Spirit was given by one of the track vets at Santa Anita in Arcadia, California for a rash on his hindquarters he got after he ran in the Santa Anita Derby at the beginning of April.

He's also chosen to stay back home in California instead of making the trip up north for the second jewel of the Triple Crown, to keep the focus on the horses and not him.

I think it's a chickenshit call for him to make, it makes him look more guilty of something he claims he didn't have a part of, but hey, that's just me. I like Bob Baffert to an extent, he's trained a lot of champions, including the past two Triple Crown winners, but he still has this air about him sometimes that he thinks he's top dog, and while he's not exactly wrong, he just goes about it in the wrong way.

Like how he's handling this drugging mess with Medina Spirit specifically, running his mouth before he had all the answers. So now, he's trying to cover his ass for what he said at Churchill Downs on Sunday.

I was scrolling through Twitter the other day when I saw a tweet that made a crack at him for always wearing his sunglasses no matter the weather or time of day, and what he's hiding behind and I couldn't help but laugh.

It's the Triple Crown, unless it's an emergency or something, how could you miss your horse, or horses in his case, running in a race of this scale?

Currently though, I'm in the tiny bathroom in our barn doing final touch ups on my hair and makeup for the Preakness while listening to the newly renamed Dixie Stakes Dinner Party Stakes, a $250,000 mile-and-an-eighth turf race that's for three-year-olds and older.

A longshot at 25-1, Flying Scotsman has held the lead at a fast pace the entire race with Somelikeithotbrown behind him in second.

Flying Scotsman is a five-year-old chestnut gelding who has a brown mane and tail, a white stocking on his front left legs and his back legs and a white stripe. He's owned and bred by Calumet Farms, a successful breeding and training Thoroughbred operation on the western outskirts of Lexington.