Chapter 8

"Holy shit!" I'm shooting up straight in my bed early the next morning, my eyes locked on the breaking news that has popped up on cell phone's screen, startling Roxy awake at the foot of my bed

"Medina Spirit tests positive for anti-inflammatory after Derby

It's an article from Horse Racing Nation, a popular online horse racing website that strictly follows Thoroughbred racing here in the States.

"What. The. Hell?!" I gasp, my eyes reading the article. 

Bob Baffert, the colt's trainer, and his lawyer, held a press conference not that long ago at Baffert's barn at Churchill Downs, breaking the news to the press. Baffert and his assistant trainer, Jimmy Barnes - unrelated to Scott and Cheyenne - received word Friday from the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission about the failed post-Derby drug test. The Hall of Fame trainer said twenty-one picograms of betamethasone, a medication that can be used in a few different forms, was found in the colt's test. That's eleven picograms over the legal limit in Kentucky, not to mention how it isn't allowed to be in a horse's system ten days prior to any race in Kentucky. He's still planning on racing Medina in the Preakness; the colt is supposed to ship out late tomorrow night to arrive early Tuesday.

"Mom! Dad!" I shout, pushing my covers back, revealing my gray elbow length sleeve relaxed boxy slightly cropped t-shirt with a round neckline and an upward curved hemline in the front to flash some skin and matching shorts with a drawstring waistband and scalloped side hemlines.

It's almost 7:00 a.m. on a Sunday so, I know the probability of either one of them being in the house are higher than any other day of the week, so I'm yelling for both of them again regardless as I leave my bedroom and head downstairs, Roxy hot on my heels.

"Shit," I groan, knowing I'm going down to the barns after finding the main living space and their bedroom empty. I'm in too much of a rush to change, so I just slip on my black sip-up paddock boots in the mudroom and head out through the garage, using the side door to make my way down to the stable yard. I know my hair is still a mess and I'm not in the typical barn clothes, but this situation doesn't give time for me to look more presentable, besides, I'm not trying to impress anyone. 

Stepping outside, I immediately regret my decision on not changing because it's dark and gloomy, rain threatening to fall and I swear I hear thunder. 

What a coincidence...bad weather on a bad weekend for Bob Baffert.

"Mom!" I call out after hustling down to the track, finding her at the rail with my dad.

"What are you doing out here? And dressed like that?" my mom asks, her eyes looking me up and down.

"You need to read this," I say while I shove my phone in her face.

"What's going on?" my dad questions after my mom's eyes widen as she reads the article.