30 ✰ (Still) Noon, October 16th

"We're not—"

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Mr. Geller. My wife and I are happy to be booking your hotel for our anniversary ball. So far, we're really impressed by your establishment," Magnus cut in, snaking his arm around my waist and pulling me closer. 

I placed a hand on his chest to push him away, but the exquisite sensation of Magnus' hard muscles effectively short-circuited my brain, rendering me speechless.

Mr. Geller preened like a peacock at Magnus' compliment.

"Thank you, sir. It's most unique, to have your wedding day on Halloween."

I stammered to reply, but Magnus beat me to it once again.

"What can I say—" He tightened his arm around me, causing me to gasp. "—we're a unique couple." By the smile in his voice, I could tell Magnus was enjoying this immensely.

"Brathair." Callum's tone was dripping with rebuke.

We turned around, or I tried to, but Magnus pivoted both of us around like a conjoined marionette. Both Callum and Lucy had their arms crossed, assessing us with displeasure. Still, Magnus didn't let go of me, leaving his addictive warmth to seep in through the thin fabric of my dress. I squirmed again as heat rose up my neck.

"Mr. Geller, this is my brother Callum, and my sister-in-law, Lucinda." 

Lucy's eyes nearly popped out of their sockets. 

Magnus added with a enthusiastically, "Did I tell you two the hotel is throwing in a lot of perks for weddings and anniversaries? Including special rates?"

The emphasis on 'special rates' told me we were now conveniently married for the sake of getting a discount. Understanding dawned on Callum and Lucy's features while I rolled my eyes at Magnus. He replied with a surreptitious wink.

"The Burnham Park Hotel is happy to be hosting you. Shall we have a tour of the grounds?" Mr. Geller offered cheerily. 

A faint meow from Lucy's tote caused the grin on his face to falter, and I took the chance to elbow Magnus hard in the ribs. He let out a pained yelp, but finally dropped his arm, tending to the spot like a wounded puppy.

"What a great idea, Mr. Geller," I finally spoke, breaking the hotel manager's suspicious gaze on Lucy. "My...husband and I can't wait to see the rest of your hotel."

It became clear to me that Mr. Geller took my words quite literally, because the hotel manager proceeded to show us every nook and cranny of the hotel, down to the chip in the hardwood staircase that was supposedly caused by Clark Gable, who often frequented the hotel with his many mistresses. Supposedly.

The location was perfect for the Ball, I knew it from the moment I stepped into the lobby. I didn't need any further convincing, so I found Mr. Geller's guided tour quite unnecessary soon enough. 

I stifled a yawn as Mr. Geller further directed us through the selection of ballrooms on the second floor, which have been used for many grand events in the past—from Hollywood press junkets to glitzy, high-profile weddings. I peered at my sister to see her giving me the same look of boredom.

"Mr. Geller," I interrupted him mid-sentence before we entered what felt like ballroom number one-hundred. The stoutly man smiled at me brightly.

"Yes, Mrs. Allan?"

I nearly choked on my saliva. Thankfully, I recovered quickly before speaking.

"My sister is feeling abit under the weather." I nodded at Lucy and she got the hint, placing her delicate palm over her chest like a wilting flower.